Capital punishment in East Asia
- edited by Itaru Tomiya.
- English, Chinese, Japanese. Chiefly English with some Chinese and Japanese.
- Kyoto, Japan : Kyoto University Press ; Portland, Or. : USA and Canada [distributor], International Specialized Book Services, 2012.
- Physical description
- viii, 529 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
Law Library (Crown)
|KNC995.5 .C37 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Introduction / Itaru Tomiya
- The transition from the ultimate mutilation to the death penalty : a study on capital punishment from the Han to the Tang / Itaru Tomiya
- The death penalty and legal culture in early modern China / Shigeki Iwai
- "Scions of wealthy families do not die in the marketplace" : death penalty and hyosu punishment in Seventeenth and Eighteenth century Chosôn Korea / Anders Karlsson
- Virtuous murders? : Notes on the history of state sanctioned violence in Han China / Bengt Pettersson
- The emperor's power and capital punishment during the Wei-Jin Period : with consideration of execution as a superjudicial sanction toward the end of the Western Jin as an example / Ryuichi Kogachi
- Death by royal favor : an analysis of punishment in the literati purges and conflicts of the Joseon Dynasty / Takeshi Yagi
- Capital punishment in East Asia : images of capital punishment and violence in early illustrated histories of China / Oliver Moore
- The social history of capital punishment in Japan : comparing early modern and modern Japan with the West / Takao Ito
- The establishment and improvement of laws on capital punishment in modern China / Zhou Dongping
- East Asia and the landscape of the death penalty : the comparative sociology of the image of capital punishment / Hiroo Fujita
- Capital punishment in ancient India : an analysis of punishments in Sanskrit texts / Akihiko Akamatsu
- Muluki Ain : the Nepalese legal code and capital punishment / Håkan Wahlquist
- Capital punishment and early Korean legal traditions / Staffan Rosén
- Conclusion remark: Standing at a fork in the road : for or against capital punishment / Itaru Tomiya.
- Publication date
Browse related items
Start at call number: