Walking the equity talk : a guide for culturally courageous leadership in school communities
- John Robert Browne II.
- Thousand Oaks, California : Corwin, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxi, 385 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC213.2 .B77 2012||Unknown|
- Browne, John Robert, II, author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 363-378) and index.
- List of Figures, Charts, and Vignettes Preface Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction to the Guide Section I: Leadership for Equitable Outcomes--It Takes an Entire Community 1. Identity, Teaching, and Learning 2. The Absence of Cultural Democracy 3. Grim Continuities 4. Rhetoric vs. Reality 5. Biases 6. Barriers Section II: Culturally Courageous Leadership--A Paradigm for Contemporary Realities 7. A New Paradigm for the 21st Century 8. Seven Principles 9. Transformation and Politics 10. Stakeholder Practices 11. Promising Departures 12. Two Leadership Profiles Section III: Making It Real 13. Defusing the Political Landmines 14. Three Equity Warriors 15. Practicing the "Equity Walk" 16. The Time Is Here, the Time Is Now Appendix 1: Facilitator Notes for Chapters 1 Through 15 Appendix 2: Culturally Courageous Leadership Diagnostic Questionnaires References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Since the beginning of the 21st century, government at the federal and state levels has tried to dramatically increase accountability for the academic outcomes of all students, as exemplified by education legislation and funding mandates. One result has been major reforms in the preparation and professional development of educational leaders. Nevertheless, the disparities in student educational outcomes have persisted despite changes in funding priorities and school/leadership reforms. This practical guide is designed help increase the consciousness, willingness, and political savvy of all adult school community stakeholders to successfully implement equity reforms. It proposes a bold, new leadership paradigm - Culturally Courageous Leadership - that facilitates the adoption of the values, beliefs, attitudes and skills needed to achieve equitable educational outcomes.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781412997812 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 141299781X (pbk. : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: