Art education beyond the classroom : pondering the outsider and other sites of learning
- edited by Alice Wexler.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012, ©2012.
- Physical description
- xx, 194 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC4025 .A78 2012
- Unknown LC4025 .A78 2012
- Wexler, Alice, 1942- editor of compilation.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. The messages of Linda Persson / Roger Cardinal
- 2. Working with the young outsider artist: appropriation, elaboration, and building self-narrative / David Henley
- 3. How do you get to Prospect Avenue? / Tim Rollins
- 4. Young and disabled in Harlem: making art like it matters / Alice Wexler
- 5. The art of living and dying: Linda Montano / Linda Weintraub ad Alice Wexler
- 6. Truth, goodness, and beautiful art: set free in the penitentiary / Phyllis Kornfeld
- 7. Following the siren's song: Scott Harrison and the Carousel of Happiness / Doug Blandy and Michael Franklin
- 8. Digital ethnography: artists speak from Virtual Ability Island in Second Life / Mary Stokrocki, Alice Wexler, and L.S. Krecker
- 9. Outside the outside: in the realms of the Real (Hogancamp, Johnston, and Darger) / Jan Jagodzinski.
- Publisher's Summary
- The subjects of this book belong to a population that is marginalized and isolated. They are children and adults with disabilities - artists who make art in special classrooms, prisons, rural back roads, backwaters, and institutions. By focusing on this population, editor and key author Alice Wexler provides a common thread that unites traditionally separate fields of art criticism, art education, and art therapy. With firsthand experience in the field, each contributor to this volume offers critical research which challenges the non-transferable divide between us and them, encouraging art teachers, therapists, critics, and general readers alike to uncover their biases regarding the nature of art and education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- 9780230114302 (hbk.)
- 023011430X (hbk.)