Politics and the history curriculum : the struggle over standards in Texas and the nation
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012, ©2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 243 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
LB1584 .P66 2012
- Unknown LB1584 .P66 2012
- Erekson, Keith A.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface PART I: REWRITING HISTORY IN TEXAS Culture War Circus: How Politics and the Media Left History Education Behind-- K.A.Erekson 'As Texas Goes, So Goes the Nation': Conservatism and Culture Wars in the Lone Star State-- G.B.Preuss Hijacks and Hijinks on the U.S. History Review Committee-- L.K.Munoz & J.Noboa A Voice Crying in the Wilderness? An Expert Reviewer's Experience-- J.F.de la Teja Negotiating for Quality: Taking a Proactive Approach to Achieve a Positive Outcome-- S.Cure Moving the Liberal-Minority Coalition Up the Educational Pipeline-- E.Zamora PART II: ANALYSIS AND ALTERNATIVES Names, Numbers, and Narratives: A Multicultural Critique of the U.S. History Standards-- J.Noboa Why Do We Think of America as a Christian Nation?-- R.T.Hughes Neo-Confederate Ideology in the Texas History Standards-- E.H.Sebesta A Missed Opportunity for World History in Texas-- D.C.Fisher Standards before Standardization: The Affiliated Schools Program, 1885-1917-- L.J.Black A Perfect Storm in Austin and Beyond: Making the Case - and Place - for U.S. History in Texas and the Nation-- L.K.Salvucci.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The politicians and pastors who revised the Texas social studies standards made national and international headlines. However, much of that coverage was sensational and squeezed the process into a narrow 'culture war' storyline. Politics and the History Curriculum sets the debate over the Texas standards within a broader context by exploring the tangled and powerful mixture of politics, religion, media, and education. This volume provides a clear analysis of what happened and why, along with sensible recommendations for teachers and policy makers.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Keith A. Erekson.
- 9781137008930 (hardback)
- 1137008938 (hardback)