Dawn of Egyptian art
- Diana Craig Patch ; with essays by Marianne Eaton-Krauss ... [et al.] ; contributions from Susan J. Allen ... [et al.].
- New York : Metropolitan Museum of Art ; New Haven [Conn.] : Distributed by Yale University Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 275 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), col. map ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 263-268) and index.
- Introduction / Diana Craig Patch
- From land to landscape / Diana Craig Patch
- Hierakonpolis / Renée Friedman
- An early weaving scene / Emilia Cortes
- The human figure / Diana Craig Patch
- Early dynastic art / Diana Craig Patch
- Sculpture in early dynastic Egypt / Marianne Eaton-Krauss
- Objects, animals, humans, and hybrids: the evolution of early Egyptian representations of the divine / Ann Macy Roth
- Text and image and the origin of writing in ancient Egypt / David P. Silverman
- The stela of King Renab / Catharine H. Roehrig and Anna Serotta.
- Publisher's Summary
- The cultural icons of Pharaonic Egypt, from the Great Sphinx at Giza to the famous burial of Tutankhamun, are among the world's most renowned works of art. Less well known, but equally impressive, are the rare and ancient images of people, animals, and landscapes made by the Egyptians who lived prior to the age of the pharaohs, when the formal conventions of Egyptian art had not yet fully evolved. With illustrations of more than 180 objects created from about 4000 to 2650 BC, Dawn of Egyptian Art presents the art forms and iconography in which the early Egyptians recorded their beliefs about the land where they lived, the yearly events that took place there, and what they thought was important to the eternal survival of their world. Comprehensive texts explore the origins and early development of the culture of ancient Egypt while discussing the relationship between image and writing as well as the representation of the self and the universe.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780300179521 20160609
- Publication date
- "This catalogue is published in conjunction with the exhibition 'The Dawn of Egyptian Art' on view at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York from April 10 to August 5, 2012"--T.p. verso.
- 9781588394606 (The Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- 1588394603 (The Metropolitan Museum of Art)
- 9780300179521 (Yale University Press)
- 0300179529 (Yale University Press)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: