Religion in public spaces : a European perspective
- edited by Silvio Ferrari and Sabrina Pastorelli.
- Farnham, Surrey, England ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate Pub., 2012.
- Physical description
- xv, 391 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Cultural diversity and law in association with RELIGARE.
Law Library (Crown)
|KJC5156 .R453 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Religion and rethinking the public-private divide : introduction / Marie-Claire Foblets
- Public and private, a moving border : a legal-historical perspective / Kjell Å. Modéer
- Socio-historical perspectives on the public and the private spheres / Adam Seligman
- The "public-private" divide on drift : what, if any, is its importance for analyzing limits of associational religious freedoms? / Veit Bader
- Religious freedom and the public-private divide : a broken promise in Europe? / Alessandro Ferrari
- The "public" and the "private" in the common law and civil law traditions and the regulation of religion / Jean-François Gaudreault-DesBiens and Noura Karazivan
- Contested normative cultures : gendered perspectives on religions and the public/private divide / Hanne Petersen
- Religion in the European public spaces : a legal overview / Silvio Ferrari
- From front-office to back-office: religious dress crossing the public-private divide in the workplace / Katayoun Alidadi
- Religious dress codes : the Turkish case / A. Emre Öktem amd Mehmet C. Uzun
- Religious dress codes : the United Kingdom case / Javier Garcia Oliva
- Religious dress codes : the Italian case / Sabrina Pastorelli
- Religious dress codes : the Bulgarian case / Maya Kosseva and Iva Kyurkchieva
- Comparing burqa debates in Europe: sartorial styles, religious prescriptions and political ideologies / Sara Silvestri
- The right to establish and maintain places of worship : the developments of its normative content under international human rights law / Noel G. Villaroman
- The places of worship in France and the public/private divide / Anne Fornerod
- "Stopp minarett"? : the controversy over the building of minarets in Switzerland / Vincenzo Pacillo
- Religious communities and their places of worship : a comparison between Bulgaria, Italy and the Netherlands / Tymen van der Ploeg.
- Publisher's Summary
- This timely volume discusses the much debated and controversial subject of the presence of religion in the public sphere. The book is divided in three sections. In the first the public/private distinction is studied mainly from a theoretical point of view, through the contributions of lawyers, philosophers and sociologists. In the following sections their proposals are tested through the analysis of two case studies, religious dress codes and places of worship. These sections include discussions on some of the most controversial recent cases from around Europe with contributions from some of the leading experts in the area of law and religion. Covering a range of very different European countries including Turkey, the UK, Italy and Bulgaria, the book uses comparative case studies to illustrate how practice varies significantly even within Europe. It reveals how familiarization with religious and philosophical diversity in Europe should lead to the modification of legal frameworks historically designed to accommodate majority religions. This in turn should give rise to recognition of new groups and communities and eventually, a more adequate response to the plurality of religions and beliefs in European society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781409450597 20160610
- Publication date
- Cultural diversity and law in association with RELIGARE
- 9781409450580 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 1409450589 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9781409450597 (ebook)
- 1409450597 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: