Sport psychology : concepts and applications
- Richard H. Cox.
- 7th ed.
- New York : McGraw-Hill, c2012.
- Physical description
- xii, 564 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
- Cox, Richard H., 1941-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 492-539) and indexes.
- PART I. Understanding Sport Psychology 1 Foundations of Sport Psychology 2 Personality as a Core Characteristic of the Athlete PART II. Motivation in Sport and Exercise 3 Self-Confidence and Intrinsic Motivation 4 Goal Perspective Theory 5 Youth Sports PART III. Effects of Attention, Emotion, and Mood on Performance 6 Attention and Concentration in Sport and Exercise 7 Anxiety, Stress, and Mood Relationships 8 Alternatives to Inverted-U Theory PART IV.Cognitive and Behavioral Interventions 9 Coping and Intervention Strategies in Sport 10 Goal Setting in Sport 11 Imagery and Hypnosis in Sport 12 Psychological Skills Training PART V. Social Psychology of Sport 13 Aggression and Violence in Sport 14 Audience and Self-Presentation Effects in Sport 15 Team Cohesion in Sport 16 Leadership and Communication in Sport PART VI. Psychobiology of Sport and Exercise 17 Exercise Psychology 18 The Psychology of Athletic Injuries and Career Termination 19 Drug Abuse in Sport and Exercise.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Sport Psychology: Concepts and Applications shows how concepts supported by current scientific research can be used to address issues and situations encountered everyday by physical activity specialists, coaches, athletic trainers, and athletes. This introduction to sport and exercise psychology addresses practical issues, such as dealing with anxiety, arousal, and stress; developing coping, relaxation, motivation, and energizing strategies; understanding the effects of an audience on human performance; building team cohesion; and preventing burnout and other negative effects.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780078022470 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 0078022479 (pbk. : acid-free paper)
- 9780071086226 (pbk.)
- 0071086226 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: