The hockey stick and the climate wars : dispatches from the front lines
- Michael E. Mann.
- New York : Columbia University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- xvi, 395 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
Law Library (Crown)
|QC903 .M36 2012||Unknown|
- Mann, Michael E., 1965-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -374) and index.
- Abbreviations and AcronymsPrologue: What Is the Hockey Stick?1. Born in a War2. Climate Science Comes of Age3. Signals in the Noise4. The Making of the Hockey Stick5. The Origins of Denial6. A Candle in the Dark7. In the Line of Fire8. Hockey Stick Goes to Washington9. When You Get Your Picture on the Cover of...10. Say it Ain't So (Smokey) Joe!11. A Tale of Two Reports12. Heads of the Hydra13. The Battle of the Bulge14. Climategate: The Real Story15. Fighting BackEpilogueGlossaryNotesSelected BibliographyAcknowledgmentsIndex.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780231152549 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- The ongoing assault on climate science in the United States has never been more aggressive, more blatant, or more widely publicized than in the case of the Hockey Stick graph--a clear and compelling visual presentation of scientific data, put together by MichaelE. Mann and his colleagues, demonstrating that global temperatures have risen in conjunction with the increase in industrialization and the use of fossil fuels. Here was an easy-to-understand graph that, in a glance, posed a threat to major corporate energy interests and those who do their political bidding. The stakes were simply too high to ignore the Hockey Stick--and so began a relentless attack on a body of science and on the investigators whose work formed its scientific basis. The Hockey Stick achieved prominence in a 2001 UN report on climate change and quickly became a central icon in the "climate wars." The real issue has never been the graph's data but rather its implied threat to those who oppose governmental regulation and other restraints to protect the environment and planet. Mann, lead author of the original paper in which the Hockey Stick first appeared, shares the story of the science and politics behind this controversy. He reveals key figures in the oil and energy industries and the media frontgroups who do their bidding in sometimes slick, sometimes bare-knuckled ways. Mann concludes with the real story of the 2009 "Climategate" scandal, in which climate scientists' emails were hacked. This is essential reading for all who care about our planet's health and our own well-being.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780231152549 20160608
- Publication date
- 9780231152549 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 023115254X (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780231526388 (ebook)
- 0231526385 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: