Music research : a handbook
- Laurie J. Sampsel.
- 2nd ed.
- New York : Oxford University Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxvi, 320 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
ML3797 .S26 2013
- In-library use ML3797 .S26 2013
- Sampsel, Laurie J.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Research process and research tools
- Guides to the research process and research tools
- Music encyclopedias and dictionaries
- Library catalogs
- Periodical indexes for music
- Indexes to music dissertations, theses, conference papers, and Festschriften
- Thematic catalogs
- Indexes to music in complete works editions, musical monuments, historical sets, and anthologies
- Music histories, source readings, and chronologies
- Bibliographies of music and music literature
- Music iconographies
- Music directories
- Online music content
- Writing, style manuals, and citation
- Style manuals and citation of sources.
- Publisher's Summary
- Clear, concise, and practical, Music Research: A Handbook, Second Edition, introduces students to the major print and electronic research tools available today. With a strong focus on the connection between music and writing, this comprehensive guide is ideal for use in both undergraduate and graduate music courses that require students to engage in library research or to write research papers. FEATURES Rich pedagogy (evaluation checklists, guidelines for theses, appendices on major documentation styles, Library of Congress subject headings/call numbers, annotated bibliographies, and more) Expanded overview of the research process and various methodologies Updated chapter on online music content and more integrated coverage of Internet resources Updated companion website (www.oup.com/us/musresearch) containing related links, updates to bibliographies and readings, research tools listed by composer, and lists of core music journals and major professional music associations.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Publication date
- Companion website also available.
- 9780199797127 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 0199797129 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9780199797110 (course website)
- 0199797110 (course website)