In questa tomba oscura
- Uniform Title
- In questa tomba oscura (Sketches)
- Italian. Staff notation.
- Physical description
- 1 score (4 pages) : paper, ink, pencil, manuscript ; 24 x 32 cm
All items must be viewed on site
Request items at least 2 days before you visit to allow retrieval from off-site storage. You can request at most 5 items per day.
|MLM 39||In-library use|
The Memorial Library of Music is a collection of printed and manuscript scores and composers' letters, dating primarily from the 18th and 19th centuries, but ranging into both the 17th and 20th centuries. Musical genres range from intimate piano works and country dance music to large-scale orchestral and vocal works, with a strong emphasis on opera. Many of the scores are autographs or inscribed by the composer. The original collection was created by George T. Keating and conceived as part of Stanford University's memorial to alumni who gave their lives in World War II. The Music Library actively adds works to the collection, particularly 18th and 19th century operatic works. A guide to the initial collection was completed by Nathan van Patten, professor of bibliography in 1950, and has been heavily annotated over the years. A partial online version is also available. Newer additions are cataloged separately and appear in Stanford's online catalog. Adminstrative files for the collection are available in a separate online collection.
- Publication date
- Title from first line of text.
- "Parole da Giuseppe Carpani"--Caption, in pencil.
- Corrections in red and gray pencil.
- "This is Beethoven's autograph, but represents the first writing-out of the arietta, with many alterations. Subsequently Beethoven must have written out another version for publication (since the published version differs considerably from the Stanford autograph)..."--letter from Alan Tyson, April 12, 1968 inserted in the Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music, 1950.
- Bound with: In questa tomba oscura : arietta con accompagnamento di piano forte composta in diverse maniere da molti autori. Vienna : T. Mollo, . 9692470
- Kinsky, page 596.
- Albrecht, no. 219.
- Van Patten, N. Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music, page 14.
Browse related items
Start at call number: