Advanced building technologies for sustainability
- Asif Syed.
- Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, Inc., c2012.
- Physical description
- x, 245 p. : ill., map ; 24 cm.
Engineering Library (Terman)
|TH880 .S94 2012||Unknown|
- Syed, Asif.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- INTRODUCTION viii Chapter 1 SUSTAINABILITY AND ENERGY 1 Quality of Life Benefits 7 Finite Fossil Fuel Resources 8 Greenhouse Gases 10 Profits and Savings from Energy Efficiency 11 Site-to-Source Effect 12 New LEED Version 2009 13 Per Capita Energy Consumption 14 Building Energy End-Use Splits, People Use Energy 15 Carbon Footprint 17 Funding Opportunities 19 Chapter 2 RADIANT COOLING 21 History 21 Introduction 23 Why Radiant Cooling? 26 Applications 28 Radiant Cooling and Historic Preservation 39 Chapter 3 DISPLACEMENT VENTILATION 41 History 41 Introduction 42 Conventional or Mixed-Air Systems 42 Difference Between Displacement and Underfloor Air Distribution (UFAD) 47 Applications 48 Large Public Spaces (Cafeterias, Dining Halls, Exhibit Spaces) 48 Chapter 4 CHILLED BEAMS 61 Principle of Operation and Technology 62 Benefits of Chilled Beams 63 Types of Chilled Beams 67 Chilled Beam Applications 72 Chilled Beam Use with Underfloor Air Distribution (UFAD) Applications 78 Chapter 5 UNDERFLOOR AIR DISTRIBUTION (UFAD) 83 Validation of UFAD Designs with CFD Analysis 91 Impact on Buildings 95 Chapter 6 DISPLACEMENT INDUCTION UNITS (DIU) 101 Benefits of Displacement Induction Units 103 History of Induction Units 106 Applications 107 Chapter 7 HIGH-PERFORMANCE ENVELOPE 115 Engaging and Nonengaging Envelopes 116 High-Performance Envelope Definition 117 Most Common Energy Codes: ANSI and ASHRAE 90.1 118 Glazing Characteristics 123 How to Exceed the Mandatory Code Performance 128 Chapter 8 THERMAL ENERGY STORAGE 145 Renewable Energy Storage 146 Conventional Air Conditioning Systems 153 Nonrenewable Energy Storage 156 Chapter 9 SOLAR ENERGY AND NET-ZERO BUILDINGS 163 Net-Zero Step 1: Harvesting Solar Energy 166 Solar Energy in Net-Zero Buildings 177 Net-Zero Step 2: Improve Energy Efficiency of the Building and Its Mechanical and Electrical Systems 181 Net-Zero Step 3: Reduce Consumption 183 Chapter 10 GEOTHERMAL SYSTEMS 185 Introduction 185 Geothermal Heat Pumps 190 Types of Heat Pumps 198 Chapter 11 COGENERATION 205 Other Applications of Cogeneration 207 Cogeneration Technologies 211 Micro-Cogeneration or Combined Heat and Power (Micro-CHP) 221 Chapter 12 DATA CENTER SUSTAINABILITY 223 History of Data Centers 224 2011: Top Ten Trends in Data Centers 225 Power Usage Effectiveness (PUE) 226 Technologies That Can Benefit Data Center Efficiency 230 Office Building Applications 234 Air Management in the Data Center 237 INDEX 239.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470546031 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- A technology-savvy engineer shows architects and engineers alike practical solutions for implementing advanced building technologies in sustainably designed buildings. This book offers busy professionals clear, straight-forward solutions to implement technologies such as solar energy, radiant cooling floors, displacement ventilation, fuel cells in buildings, and many other innovative possibilities. It clearly shows how these technologies are executed in recent exemplars of sustainably designed buildings and carried out through the combined efforts of the architect and engineer to develop a truly integrated design.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780470546031 20160608
- Publication date
- 9780470546031 (cloth)
- 0470546034 (cloth)
Acquired with support from
Browse related items
Start at call number: