The calligraphy of medieval music
- English, French. Fifteen contributions in English and 1 in French.
- Turnhout : Brepols, 2011.
- Physical description
- 276 p., 16 p. of plates : ill. (some col.), music ; 26 cm.
- Musicalia Medii Aevi ; 1.
ML174 .C255 2011
- Unknown ML174 .C255 2011
- Haines, John (John Dickinson)
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Part I, Writing medieval music: Toward a scientific palaeography of music / Michel Huglo ; The codicology of late medieval music manuscripts: some preliminary observations / Albert Derolez ; Manuscript production in Ethiopia: an ongoing practice / Getatchew Haile
- Part II, Early medieval notations: Calligraphy and the study of neumatic notations / Susan Rankin ; La notation neumatique bretonne : manuscrits et centres de diffusion (Xe-XIIe siècle) / Jean-Luc Deuffic ; Dating neumes according to their morphology : the corpus of Toledo / Susana Zapke ; Music writing styles in medieval Italy / Giacomo Baroffio ; Liturgical books and book production in the thirteenth-century diocese of Chartres : the case of Biblioteca apostolica vaticana, Vat. Lat. 4756 / Margot Fassler ; Some characteristic neumes in North French, Sicilian and Italian chant / David Hiley ; The earliest developments in square notation : twelfth-century Aquitaine / Michel Huglo
- Part III, Later medieval notations: Notation in Carthusian liturgical books / Olivier Cullin ; Dominican and Franciscan books : similarities and differences between their notations / Michel Huglo ; On ligaturae and their properties : medieval music notation as esoteric writing / John Haines ; Interpreting the deluxe manuscript : exigencies of scribal practice and manuscript production in Machaut / Lawrence Earp ; The consequences of Ars Nova notation / Anna Maria Busse Berger ; The meeting of chant and polyphony in monophonic square notation from Cambrai Cathedral 1250-1550 / Barbara Haggh.
- Publication date
- John Haines (ed.).
- Musicalia Medii Aevi ; 1
- Chiefly papers from the conference of the same title held Sept. 21-23, 2007, at the University of Toronto.
- 9782503540054 (pbk.)
- 2503540058 (pbk.)