What is war? : an investigation in the wake of 9/11
- edited by Mary Ellen O'Connell.
- Leiden ; Boston : Martinus Nijhoff Publishers, 2012.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 495 p. : ill ; 2 5 cm.
- International humanitarian law series v. 37.
Law Library (Crown)
|KZ6385 .W48 2012||Unknown|
- O'Connell, Mary Ellen, 1958-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Defining armed conflict in the decade after 9/11 / Mary Ellen O'Connell
- Proposal to study the meaning of war in international law (May 2005) / ILA Committee on the Use of Force
- International law's changing terms : "war" becomes "armed conflict" / Elzbieta Mikos-Skuza
- The meaning of armed conflict and the Jus ad Bellum / Jutta Brunnee
- The concept of "armed conflict" in international armed conflict / Masahiko Asada
- The meaning of armed conflict : non-international armed conflict / Christine Gray
- Irregular forces and self-defense under the UN Charter / James Gathii
- United Nations peacekeeping and the meaning of armed conflict / Mary Ellen O'Connell and Ania Kritvus
- Silence of the laws? : conceptions of international relations and international law in Hobbes, Kant, and Locke / Michael Doyle and Geoffrey Carlson
- War, crime, and terrorism : distinctions and implications / John Mueller
- Meaning of war / Michael Rose
- What is war? / Jeremy Black
- History and war : the grim record of the past / Williamson Murray
- The meaning of war / Pamela Constable
- The semantics of 21st century warfare / James Gordon Meek
- The precariousness of rules / Thomas Grassey
- The meaning of war : an ethical analysis of sanctions and humanitarian intervention / Gerard Powers
- Uganda's "War in the North" : how clashing religious views created an armed conflict, how reconciling them may end it / Todd Whitmore
- The meaning of war / John Darby
- What's in a war? : insights from a conflict data program / Peter Wallensteen
- Initial report of the ILA Use of Force Committee on the definition of armed conflict (2008)
- Defining armed conflict, the work of the ILA Committee on the Use of Force (2005-2008) / Mary Ellen O'Connell
- Excerpts from a memo by the chair to the Committee on Submitting the Final Report (June 2010)
- The ILA Use of Force Committee's final report on the definition of armed conflict in international law (August 2010)
- Report on the adoption of the committee's final report on the definition of armed conflict (September 2010) / Mary Ellen O'Connell.
- Publisher's Summary
- International law has lacked a widely-accepted definition of armed conflict despite the essential human rights and other rules that depend on such a definition. During armed conflict, government forces have "combatant immunity" to kill without warning. They may detain enemy forces until the end of the conflict without the requirement to provide a speedy and fair trial. Governments may have asylum obligations or neutrality obligations based on the existence of armed conflict. To fill this gap in our knowledge of the law, the International Law Association's Committee on the Use of Force produced a report on the meaning of armed conflict. This book contains the report and papers delivered at an inter-disciplinary conference designed to inform the committee from a variety of perspectives.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004172340 20160608
- Publication date
- International humanitarian law series, 1389-6776 ; v. 37
- 9789004172340 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9004172343 (hardback : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: