Combinatorics of permutations
- Miklós Bóna.
- 2nd ed.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- 458 p. : ill ; 25 cm.
- Discrete mathematics and its applications.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA165 .B66 2012||Unknown|
- Bóna, Miklós.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 435-452) and index.
- In One Line and Close. Permutations as Linear Orders. Descents Alternating Runs Alternating Subsequences In One Line and Anywhere. Permutations as Linear Orders. Inversions. Inversions Inversion in Permutations of Multisets In Many Circles. Permutations as Products of Cycles. Decomposing a Permutation into Cycles Type and Stirling Numbers Cycle Decomposition versus Linear Order Permutations with Restricted Cycle Structure In Any Way but This. Pattern Avoidance. The Basics. The Notion of Pattern Avoidance Patterns of Length Three Monotone Patterns Patterns of Length Four The Proof of the Stanley-Wilf Conjecture In This Way but Nicely. Pattern Avoidance. Follow-Up. Polynomial Recurrences Containing a Pattern Many Times Containing a Pattern a Given Number of Times Mean and Insensitive. Random Permutations. The Probabilistic Viewpoint Expectation Variance and Standard Deviation An Application: Longest Increasing Subsequences Permutations versus Everything Else. Algebraic Combinatorics of Permutations. The Robinson-Schensted-Knuth Correspondence Posets of Permutations Simplicial Complexes of Permutations Get Them All. Algorithms and Permutations. Generating Permutations Stack Sorting Permutations Variations of Stack Sorting How Did We Get Here? Permutations as Genome Rearrangements. Introduction Block Transpositions Block Interchanges Block Transpositions Revisited Solutions to Odd-Numbered Exercises References List of Frequently Used Notation Index Exercises, Problems, and Problem Solutions appear at the end of each chapter.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439850527 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- A Unified Account of Permutations in Modern Combinatorics A 2006 CHOICE Outstanding Academic Title, the first edition of this bestseller was lauded for its detailed yet engaging treatment of permutations. Providing more than enough material for a one-semester course, Combinatorics of Permutations, Second Edition continues to clearly show the usefulness of this subject for both students and researchers and is recommended for undergraduate libraries by the MAA. Expanded Chapters Much of the book has been significantly revised and extended. This edition includes a new section on alternating permutations and new material on multivariate applications of the exponential formula. It also discusses several important results in pattern avoidance as well as the concept of asymptotically normal distributions. New Chapter An entirely new chapter focuses on three sorting algorithms from molecular biology. This emerging area of combinatorics is known for its easily stated and extremely difficult problems, which sometimes can be solved using deep techniques from seemingly remote branches of mathematics. Additional Exercises and Problems All chapters in the second edition have more exercises and problems. Exercises are marked according to level of difficulty and many of the problems encompass results from the last eight years.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781439850527 20160609
- Publication date
- Discrete mathematics and its applications
- "A Chapman & Hall book."
- 9781439850510 (hardback : acid-free paper)
- 1439850518 (hardback : acid-free paper)
- 9781439850527 (ebook)
- 1439850526 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: