Sparsity : graphs, structures, and algorithms
- Jaroslav Nešetřil, Patrice Ossona de Mendez.
- Heidelberg ; New York : Springer, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 457 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 24 cm.
- Algorithms and combinatorics ; 28.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA164 .N47 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 431-450) and index.
- Part I Presentation: 1. Introduction.- 2. A Few Problems.- 3. Commented Contents.- Part II. The Theory: 4. Prolegomena.- 5. Measuring Sparsity.- 6. Classes and their Classification.- 7. Bounded Height Trees and Tree-Depth.- 8. Decomposition.- 9. Independence.- 10. First-Order Constraint Satisfaction Problems and Homomorphism Dualities.- 11. Restricted Homomorphism Dualities.- 12. Counting.- 13. Back to Classes.- Part III Applications: 14. Classes with Bounded Expansion - Examples.- 15. Property Testing, Hyperfiniteness and Separators.- 16. Algorithmic Applications.- 17. Other Applications.- 18. Conclusion.- Bibliography.- Index.- List of Symbols.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This is the first book devoted to the systematic study of sparse graphs and sparse finite structures. Although the notion of sparsity appears in various contexts and is a typical example of a hard to define notion, the authors devised an unifying classification of general classes of structures. This approach is very robust and it has many remarkable properties. For example the classification is expressible in many different ways involving most extremal combinatorial invariants. This study of sparse structures found applications in such diverse areas as algorithmic graph theory, complexity of algorithms, property testing, descriptive complexity and mathematical logic (homomorphism preservation, fixed parameter tractability and constraint satisfaction problems). It should be stressed that despite of its generality this approach leads to linear (and nearly linear) algorithms. Jaroslav Nesetril is a professor at Charles University, Prague; Patrice Ossona de Mendez is a CNRS researcher et EHESS, Paris. This book is related to the material presented by the first author at ICM 2010.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Sparse matrices.
- Publication date
- Algorithms and combinatorics ; 28
- 9783642278747 (hard cover : alk. paper)
- 3642278744 (hard cover : alk. paper)
- 9783642278754 (ebk.)
- 3642278752 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: