Fall down 7 times, get up 8 : teaching kids to succeed
- Debbie Silver ; foreword by Carol Ann Tomlinson.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin ; [Westerville, Ohio] : AMLE, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxviii, 207 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB1065 .S544 2012
- Unknown LB1065 .S544 2012
- Silver, Debbie, 1950-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 197-202) and index.
- Foreword by Carol Ann Tomlinson Preface Acknowledgments About the Author 1. Self-Motivation - What Is It, and How Do We Use It to Empower Children? Albert Bandura and Self-Efficacy Motivation or Self-Motivation? Try This TUH-tuh-tuh-DAH! for Kids Amy Chua, Author of Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother Adults Need to Work in Tandem With Children's Motivation Entitlement or Empowerment? Sample Adult Statements 2. Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD) Mastery Learning Experience Lev Vygotsky and "Zone of Proximal Development" 3. Self-Regulation, Deliberate Practice, and Failure Instant Gratification and Its Implications Adults Modeling Self-Regulation Ericsson's Deliberate Practice Expertise and the Ten-Year Rule Failure? There's an "App" for That My Skating Rink Story Helping Kids Deal With Failure Adults Modeling Recovery Practices 4. Attribution Theory - Why Did I Succeed (or not)? More on A Simplified Version of Attribution Theory Learned Helplessness Effective Feedback The Littering Experiment Rosenthal's Self-Fulfilling Prophecy 5. Mindset - The Key to Self-Motivation Fixed Mindset/Growth Mindset Taking the Joy From the Artist Gifted Kids and Coping With Failure Fostering a Growth Mindset in Children Feedback That Changes Perspectives Conclusion 6. What Do I Get for Doing It? (Examining Rewards) My Parents and Rewards My Love Affair With Rewards My Aha Moment With Rewards My Reward Fiasco Varying Degrees of Rewards Paul Chance, The Voice of Reason Praise As a Reward No More Stars, Stickers, or Trophies? Really? Motivating Kids to Do Unexciting Tasks Rewards as Affirmations Conclusion 7. Autonomy, Time, and Flow Autonomy Optimal Learning Environment and Flow 8. Helping Students Stay Motivated as They Get Older Procrastination Helping Older Children Cope With Failure 9. Inspiring Young Children Wiped Out Be Careful About Indirect Communication Helping Kids Who Are Afraid 10. FAQs About Teaching Students to Be Successful The Story of a Phoenix Glossary Discussion Guide References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In today's educational setting there seems to be a universal call for student engagement. The topic of student motivation is foremost in almost every attempt at educational reform. Recent research on the topics of motivation, self-efficacy, attribution theory, implicit personality theory, goal orientation, and resiliency has provided new insights about the malleability of mindsets in learners. Appropriate challenges and feedback seem to be the key factors in determining whether a student gives up or perseveres towards an objective. This book is written for teachers, parents, and other student advocates who want to help students become autonomous, enthusiastic lifelong learners. The purpose of this book is to inform adults about motivational theory, and more importantly, to give them concrete, applicable guidelines along with specific examples about what to say and what not to say to learners. The title, Fall Down 7 Times, Get Up 8, implies that failure in not only a possibility, it is a very concrete way of gaining ground. The author aims to change the conversation from today's Failure is not an option, to We can utilize what seems to be failure as the next logical step towards one's goals. Students need to be taught to view failure as a temporary glitch and a step towards success rather than as a permanent state of being. In layman's terms the author explains the research behind her ideas while offering down-to-earth, often humorous, real life examples.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Motivation in education.
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Fall down seven times, get up eight
- 9781412998772 (pbk.)
- 1412998778 (pbk.)