The Cambridge handbook of cognitive science
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2012, ©2012.
- Physical description
- xi, 333 pages : ill. ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of figures and tables-- Notes on contributors-- Acknowledgments-- Introduction Keith Frankish and William M. Ramsey-- Part I. Foundations: 1. History and core themes Adele Abrahamsen and William Bechtel-- 2. The representational theory of mind Barbara Von Eckardt-- 3. Cognitive architectures Paul Thagard-- Part II. Aspects of Cognition: 4. Perception Casey O'Callaghan-- 5. Action Elisabeth Pacherie-- 6. Human learning and memory Charan Ranganath, Laura A. Libby and Ling Wong-- 7. Reasoning and decision making Mike Oaksford, Nick Chater and Neil Stewart-- 8. Concepts Gregory L. Murphy and Aaron B. Hoffman-- 9. Language Ray Jackendoff-- 10. Emotion Jesse Prinz-- 11. Consciousness William G. Lycan-- Part III. Research Programs: 12. Cognitive neuroscience Dominic Standage and Thomas Trappenberg-- 13. Evolutionary psychology H. Clark Barrett-- 14. Embodied, embedded, and extended cognition Andy Clark-- 15. Animal cognition Sara J. Shettleworth-- Glossary-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Cognitive science is a cross-disciplinary enterprise devoted to understanding the nature of the mind. In recent years, investigators in philosophy, psychology, the neurosciences, artificial intelligence, and a host of other disciplines have come to appreciate how much they can learn from one another about the various dimensions of cognition. The result has been the emergence of one of the most exciting and fruitful areas of inter-disciplinary research in the history of science. This volume of original essays surveys foundational, theoretical, and philosophical issues across the discipline, and introduces the foundations of cognitive science, the principal areas of research, and the major research programs. With a focus on broad philosophical themes rather than detailed technical issues, the volume will be valuable not only to cognitive scientists and philosophers of cognitive science, but also to those in other disciplines looking for an authoritative and up-to-date introduction to the field.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Cognitive science.
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- edited by Keith Frankish and William M. Ramsey.
- 9780521871419 (hardback)
- 0521871417 (hardback)
- 9780521691901 (paperback)
- 0521691907 (paperback)