Handbook of writing for the mathematical sciences [electronic resource]
- Nicholas J. Higham.
- 2nd ed.
- Philadelphia, Pa. : Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM, 3600 Market Street, Floor 6, Philadelphia, PA 19104), 1998.
- Physical description
- 1 electronic text (xvi, 302 p.) : ill., digital file.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 269-287) and indexes.
- Preface-- 1. General principles-- 2. Writer's tools and recommended reading-- 3. Mathematical writing-- 4. English usage-- 5. When English is a foreign language-- 6. Writing a paper-- 7. Revising a draft-- 8. Publishing a paper-- 9. Writing and defending a thesis-- 10. Writing a talk-- 11. Giving a talk-- 12. Preparing a poster-- 13. TeX and LaTeX-- 14. Aids and resources for writing and research-- Appendices-- Glossary-- Bibliography-- Name index-- Subject index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The subject of mathematical writing has been infused with life once again by Nick Higham as he follows up his successful HWMS volume with this much-anticipated second edition. As is Higham's style, the material is enlivened by anecdotes, unusual paper titles, and humorous quotations. This handy new volume provides even more information on the issues you will face when writing a technical paper or talk, from choosing the right journal in which to publish to handling your references. Its overview of the entire publication process is invaluable for anyone hoping to publish in a technical journal. The original book has been completely revised, making use of feedback from readers as well as Higham's own large file of ideas based on his experiences in reading, writing, editing, examining, and supervising theses.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Restricted to subscribers or individual electronic text purchasers.
- Also available in print version.
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
- System requirements: Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Available in another form
- Print version: ( 0898714206 ) ( 9780898714203 )
- 9780898719550 (electronic bk.)
- 9780898714203 (pbk.)
- 0898714206 (pbk.)
- 0898719550 (electronic bk.)