Understanding video games : the essential introduction
- Simon Egenfeldt-Nielsen, Jonas Heide Smith, Susana Pajares Tosca.
- 2nd ed.
- New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Physical description
- ix, 323 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -313) and index.
- Introduction 1. Studying Video Games 2. The Game Industry 3. What is a Game? 4. History 5. Video Game Aesthetics 6. Video Games in Culture 7. Narrative 8. Serious Games-When Entertainment Is Not Enough 9. Video Games and Risks Video Game Timeline. Glossary List of Games Bibliography.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415896979 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- This expanded and revised second edition of Understanding Video Games provides a comprehensive introduction to the growing field of game studies. Understanding Video Games, 2nd Edition is an essential read for newcomers to video game studies and experienced game scholars alike. This follow-up to the pioneering first edition takes video game studies into the next decade of the twenty-first century, highlighting changes in the game business, advances in video game scholarship, and recent trends in game design and development-including mobile, social, and casual gaming. In Understanding Video Games, 2nd Edition students will: * Assess the major theories used to analyze games, such as ludology and narratology * Gain familiarity with the commercial and organizational aspects of the game industry * Trace the history of video games from Pong to Playstation 3 and beyond * Explore the aesthetics of game design * Evaluate the cultural position of video games * Consider the potential effects of both violent and "serious" games. Extensively illustrated, and featuring discussion questions, a glossary of key terms, and a detailed video game history timeline (including an interactive online version), Understanding Video Games, 2nd Edition is an indispensable resource for anyone interested in examining the ways video games are reshaping entertainment and society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415896979 20160609
- Video games.
- Publication date
- Rev. ed. of: Understanding video games / Simon Egenfeldt-Nielsen, Jonas Heide Smith, Susana Pajares Tosca. c2008.
- Related Work
- Egenfeldt-Nielsen, Simon. Understanding video games.
- 9780415896962 (hbk)
- 0415896967 (hbk)
- 9780415896979 (pbk)
- 0415896975 (pbk)
- 9780203116777 (ebk)
- 0203116771 (ebk)
Browse related items
Start at call number: