Inequalities and applications 2010 : dedicated to the memory of Wolfgang Walter
- Catherine Bandle ... [et al.], editors.
- Basel ; London : Springer, c2012.
- Physical description
- lxx, 273 p. : ill ; 25 cm.
- International series of numerical mathematics ; v. 161.
Math & Statistics Library
|QA297 .I5 V.161||Unknown|
- Bandle, Catherine, 1943-
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Part 1. Boundary Value Problems
- Domain Derivatives for Energy Functionals with Boundary Integrals / Catherine Bandle and Alfred Wagner
- The Asymptotic Shape of a Boundary Layer of Symmetric Willmore Surfaces of Revolution / Hans-Christoph Grunau
- A Computer-Assisted Uniqueness Proof for a Semilinear Elliptic Boundary Value Problem / Patrick J. McKenna, Filomena Pacella, Michael Plum and Dagmar Roth
- Green Function Estimates Lead to Neumann Function Estimates / Guido Sweers
- Part 2. Numerical Methods
- Deriving Inequalities in the Laguerre-Pólya Class from Properties of Half-Plane Mappings / Prashant Batra
- Fundamental Error Estimate Inequalities for the Tikhonov Regularization Using Reproducing Kernels / Luís P. Castro, Hiroshi Fujiwara, Saburou Saitoh, Yoshihiro Sawano and Akira Yamada, et al.
- On the Approximation-Error of Some Numerical Methods for Obtaining the Optimal Deformable Model / Paulina Mitrea, Octavian Mircia Gurzău and Alexandru Ioan Mitrea
- Part 3. Geometric and Norm Inequalities
- The Longest Shortest Piercing / Bernd Kawohl and Vasilii V. Kurta
- On a Continuous Mapping and Sharp Triangle Inequalities / Tomoyoshi Ohwada
- A Dunkl-Williams Inequality and the Generalized Operator Version / Kichi-Suke Saito and Masaru Tominaga
- Part 4. Generalized Convexity
- Jordan Type Representation of Functions with Generalized High Order Bounded Variation / Gabriela Cristescu
- On Vector Hermite-Hadamard Differences Controlled by Their Scalar Counterparts / Roman Ger and Josip Pečarić
- Functions Generating Strongly Schur-Convex Sums / Kazimierz Nikodem, Teresa Rajba and Szymon Wąsowicz
- Strongly Convex Sequences / Jacek Tabor, Józef Tabor and Marek Żołdak
- Part 5. Convexity and Related Inequalities
- Refinement of Inequalities Related to Convexity via Superquadracity, Weaksuperquadracity and Superterzacity / Shoshana Abramovich, Slavica Ivelić and Josip Pečarić
- On Two Different Concepts of Subquadraticity / Attila Gilányi, Csaba Gábor Kézi and Katarzyna Troczka-Pawelec
- Connections Between the Jensen and the Chebychev Functionals / Flavia Corina Mitroi
- Part 6. Other Equations and Inequalities
- Functional Inequalities and Equivalences of Some Estimates / Włodzimierz Fechner
- On Measurable Functions Satisfying Multiplicative Type Functional Equations Almost Everywhere / Antal Járai, Károly Lajkó and Fruzsina Mészáros
- On the L1 Norm of the Weighted Maximal Function of Walsh-Marcinkiewicz Kernels / Károly Nagy
- Quasimonotonicity as a Tool for Differential and Functional Inequalities / Peter Volkmann.
- Publisher's Summary
- Inequalities arise as an essential component in various mathematical areas. Besides forming a highly important collection of tools, e.g. for proving analytic or stochastic theorems or for deriving error estimates in numerical mathematics, they constitute a challenging research field of their own. Inequalities also appear directly in mathematical models for applications in science, engineering, and economics. This edited volume covers divers aspects of this fascinating field. It addresses classical inequalities related to means or to convexity as well as inequalities arising in the field of ordinary and partial differential equations, like Sobolev or Hardy-type inequalities, and inequalities occurring in geometrical contexts. Within the last five decades, the late Wolfgang Walter has made great contributions to the field of inequalities. His book on differential and integral inequalities was a real breakthrough in the 1970's and has generated a vast variety of further research in this field. He also organized six of the seven "General Inequalities" Conferences held at Oberwolfach between 1976 and 1995, and co-edited their proceedings. He participated as an honorary member of the Scientific Committee in the "General Inequalities 8" conference in Hungary. As a recognition of his great achievements, this volume is dedicated to Wolfgang Walter's memory. The "General Inequalities" meetings found their continuation in the "Conferences on Inequalities and Applications" which, so far, have been held twice in Hungary. This volume contains selected contributions of participants of the second conference which took place in Hajduszoboszlo in September 2010, as well as additional articles written upon invitation. These contributions reflect many theoretical and practical aspects in the field of inequalities, and will be useful for researchers and lecturers, as well as for students who want to familiarize themselves with the area.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9783034802482 20160608
- Publication date
- International series of numerical mathematics ; v. 161
- 9783034802482 (hbk.)
- 303480248X (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: