Youth culture, language endangerment and linguistic survivance
- Leisy Thornton Wyman.
- Bristol ; Toronto : Multilingual Matters, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 303 p. ; 21 cm.
- Bilingual education and bilingualism ; 85.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3733 .A5 W96 2012||Unknown|
- Wyman, Leisy Thornton.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Introduction Chapter 1: Researching Indigenous youth language Chapter 2: Elders and qanruyutait in village life Chapter 3: Educators, schooling and language shift Chapter 4: The "Last Real Yup'ik Speakers"Chapter 5: Family language socialization in a shifting context Chapter 6: The "Get By Group" Chapter 7: Subsistence, gender and storytelling in a changing linguistic ecologyConclusion Epilogue: Educational policies and Yup'ik linguistic ecologies a decade later.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Detailing a decade of life and language use in a remote Alaskan Yup'ik community, Youth Culture and Linguistic Survivance provides rare insight into youths' language brokering and Indigenous people's contemporary linguistic ecologies. This book examines how two consecutive groups of youths in a Yup'ik village negotiated eroding heritage language learning resources, changing language ideologies, and gendered subsistence practices while transforming community language use over time. Wyman shows how villagers used specific Yup'ik forms, genres, and discourse practices to foster learning in and out of school, underscoring the stakes of language endangerment. At the same time, by demonstrating how the youths and adults in the study used multiple languages, literacies and translanguaging to sustain a unique subarctic way of life under pressure to assimilate, Wyman illuminates Indigenous peoples' wide-ranging forms of linguistic survivance in an interconnected world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Bilingual education & bilingualism ; 
- 9781847697400 (alk. paper)
- 1847697402 (alk. paper)
- 9781847697394 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1847697399 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781847697417 (ebook)
- 1847697410 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: