University governance and reform : policy, fads, and experience in international perspective
- Edited by Hans G. Schuetze, William Bruneau, and Garnet Grosjean.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012, ©2012.
- Physical description
- xvi, 266 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- International & development education.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2341 .U568 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword-- H.G.Schuetze, W.Bruneau & G.Grosjean PART I University Governance Reform: The Drivers and the Driven-- H.G.Schuetze Reconsidering University Autonomy And Governance: From Academic Freedom To Institutional Autonomy-- P.Zgaga PART II: NORTH AMERICA The Provost Office as Key Decision-Maker in the Contemporary U.S. University: Toward a Theory of Institutional Change-- N.P.Stromquist Professors in Their Places: Governance in Canadian Higher Education-- W.Bruneau University Governance and Institutional Culture: A Canadian President's Perspective-- R.Paul The Politics of Policy Making in Post-Secondary Education in Canada and in the Province of Ontario: Implications for Governance-- P.Axelrod, T.Shanahan, R.Wellen & R.Desai-Trilokekar Liberality and Collaborative Governance in a New Private University: The Experience of Quest University-- J.Cohn PART III: LATIN AMERICA Where the Global and the Local Converge: Four Cases of Latin American Higher Education Reform-- A.Maldonado Reforms of University Governance in Mexico: Inducements or Impediments for Change?-- W.de Vries & G.Alvarez Mendiola Federal Policies and Governance Universities in Mexico, 1990-2010-- A.Acosta Silva Higher Education Reform in Ecuador and its Effect on University Governance-- M.Saavedra PART IV: EAST ASIA AND AUSTRALIA Incorporation of National Universities in Japan: An Evaluation Six Years On-- M.Kaneko Japanese Universities: Current Challenges and Future Perspectives-- M.Homma University Autonomy, Academic Freedom and Intellectuals in China-- Qiang Zha Higher Education Reform in Indonesia: University Governance and Autonomy-- W.J.Jacob, Y.Wang, T.L.Pelkowski, R.Karsidi & A.D.Priyanto Transforming Australia's Higher Education System: New Accountability Policies for a Global Era?-- L.Vidovich.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The new fascination with products and the commercial value of research, coupled with the rise of neo-liberal "new public management" in the public sector more generally, has led to the rise of a managerial class in the university.This collection of essays focuseson the rise of this"new management" and the widespread use of business models and market principles since the late 1970sthat haveundermined the autonomy of the professoriate.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- International and development education
- 9780230340121 (hbk.)
- 0230340121 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: