Persuasive writing [electronic resource] : how to harness the power of words
- Peter Frederick.
- Harlow, England ; New York : Prentice Hall/Pearson, 2011.
- Physical description
- 1 online resource (xii, 194 p.) : ill.
- Frederick, Peter.
- Contents Introduction Section 1: What is Persuasive Writing? Why are you writing? Who is your audience? Reader Response = Result Section 2: Tools for Persuasive Writing Ethos, Logos, Pathos Using emotive language You, We, I -- getting personal Storytelling Persuasive writing example Section 3: Persuasion -- Beyond Logic The science of decision-making Primacy -- why coming first matters Availability Consistency and why we hate changing our minds Justification and evidence Simplicity Loss and reward -- a bird in the hand... Outside influences -- following the herd Repetition, Repetition, Repetition Anchoring -- decision-making all at sea The Halo Effect Recency -- the here and now The reader is always right Commercial Break: Advertisement Slogans Section 4: Conciseness Equals Clarity Ason and the Jargonauts Sentence length The writer's diet -- cutting padding Culling lazy words Examples, similes and analogies A 7-step concise writing process Section 5: Verbs Equal Vigour Grammar refresher Verbs just wanna have fun Verbs in disguise -- noun suffixes Section 6: Mistakes Commonly confused words Using the wrong word Scattershot punctuation and no punctuation Poor spelling 'Mistakes' that aren't mistakes Section 7: Planning and Structuring Plan, Draft, Edit Document structures Section 8: Layout, Fonts and Formatting Font choice Layout Headings Bullets Tables and diagrams Section 9: Tips for Common Documents More effective emails Writing for the web Persuasive CVs Executive summaries and abstracts Grant funding Feedback, fear and a favour Section 10: Persuasion -- the Dark Arts Assume causality It's common sense, stupid It's common knowledge Abuse statistics Widen or narrow definitions Flattery will get you everywhere And a few more... The End Appendix 1: Summary of rules Appendix 2: Supersized words and their alternatives Appendix 3: Recommended reading Appendix 4: Persuasive writing flowchart Appendix 5: Persuasive writing checklist Appendix 6: Exploiting and countering human decision-making Appendix 7: the 7 step concise writing process -- worked example.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780273746133 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- Developed from powerful techniques consistently proven in the world of multi-million pound commercial bid writing, Persuasive Writing reveals the most efficient and effective ways to make your words work, time after time. Discover how to: Transform any document into something truly compelling and persuasive Understand what your reader really wants to hear and use this to get what you want Combine logic and emotion to convince even the most sceptical reader Whether you're writing for business or for pleasure, the longest document or the shortest email, with these and many more proven techniques, Persuasive Writing will ensure every word works for you.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780273746133 20160608