Annotating new genes : from in silico screening to experimental validation
- Shizuka Uchida.
- Cambridge, UK ; Philadelphia, PA : Woodhead, 2012.
- Physical description
- xviii, 178 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Woodhead Publishing series in biomedicine 15.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QH324.2 .U24 2012||Unknown|
- Uchida, Shizuka.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Databases and software to make your research life easier-- How to program like a bioinformatician? Case study: C-It, knowledge database for screening evolutionarily conserved, tissue-enriched, uncharacterized genes-- Experimental validation: concepts and practice-- Further application: adult stem cells and tissue regenerations-- Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781907568688 20160609
- Publisher's Summary
- In recent years, a number of academic and commercial software packages and databases have been developed for the analysis and screening of biological data; however, the usability of these data is compromised by so-called novel genes to which no biological function is assigned. Annotating new genes outlines an approach to the analysis of evolutionary-conserved, heart-enriched genes with unknown functions, offering a step-by-step description of the procedure from screening to validation. The book begins by offering an introduction to the databases and software available, before moving on to cover programming guidelines, including a specific case study on the use of C-It for in silico screening. The second half of the book offers a step-by-step guide to experimental validation concepts and procedures, as well as an overview of additional potential applications of this approach in the field of stem cells and tissue regeneration, before a concluding chapter summarises the concepts and theories presented. * Focuses not only on screening but also on biological validations* Provides details of databases and software (web interface) products for biologists with minimal computation skills* Offers a step-by-step outline of the procedure involved.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781907568688 20160609
- Publication date
- Woodhead publishing series in biomedicine ; 15
- 1907568689 (cloth)
- 9781907568688 (Cloth)
- 9781908818126 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: