What editors want : an author's guide to scientific journal publishing
- Benson, Philippa Jane, author.
- Chicago ; London : University of Chicago Press, 2013.
- Physical description
- 178 pages ; 23 cm.
- Chicago guides to writing, editing, and publishing.
- Silver, Susan C., author.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages -170) and index.
- Who cares what editors want?
- Changing perspective from author to editor
- Judging the newness of your science
- Authorship issues
- Choosing the right journal
- Understanding impact factors
- How to write a cover letter
- Preparing for manuscript submission or "what editors wish you knew"
- Who does what in peer review
- Dealing with decision letters
- Ethical issues in publishing
- Trends in scientific publishing.
- Publisher's Summary
- Research publications have always been key to building a successful career in science, yet little if any formal guidance is offered to young scientists on how to get research papers peer reviewed, accepted, and published by leading scientific journals. With "What Editors Want", Philippa J. Benson and Susan C. Silver, two well-respected editors from the science publishing community, remedy that situation with a clear, straightforward guide that will be of use to all scientists. Benson and Silver instruct readers on how to identify the journals that are most likely to publish a given paper, how to write an effective cover letter, how to avoid common pitfalls of the submission process, and how to effectively navigate the all-important peer review process, including dealing with revisions and rejection. With supplemental advice from more than a dozen experts, this book will equip scientists with the knowledge they need to usher their papers through publication.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Philippa J. Benson & Susan C. Silver.
- On writing, editing, and publishing
- 9780226043142 (paperback : alkaline paper)
- 0226043142 (paperback : alkaline paper)
- 9780226043159 (e-book)
- 0226043150 (e-book)