The new school management by wandering around
- William A. Streshly, Susan Penny Gray, Larry E. Frase ; foreword by Fenwick W. English.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxii, 310 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB2805 .S8144 2012
- Unknown LB2805 .S8144 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p.285-300) and index.
- List of Figures and Tables Foreword by Fenwick W. English Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Defining the MBWA Leader Personal Attributes and Beliefs of MBWA Leaders Examples of MBWA From History Examples of MBWA From Industrial and Educational Leaders The Research Base 2. School Leadership: What Matters Most "Great Man" Theory of Leadership The Trait Theory Modern Leadership Theories Assessing Your Leadership Style 3. Why Teachers Teach and Why They Leave Why Teachers Teach Why Teachers Leave 4. Why Teachers Stay Supportive Leadership of the MBWA Principal The Improvement Ethic 5. Promoting Quality Curriculum Through MBWA Quality of Curriculum Content Ensuring High-Quality Instruction Monitoring the Curriculum Caveats on Research 6. Getting Into Classrooms Research Supporting Frequent Principal Classroom Observations Conducting Informal Classroom Observations Informal Classroom Observation Protocols 7. Finding Time for MBWA The Research on How Principals Spend Their Time How MBWA Administrators Find the Time Time Management Myths Finding Time at Work for MBWA Meetings: Wasting Time Versus Making Progress Planning a Productive Meeting 8. Promoting Good Student Discipline and a Safe Campus Plan a Team Approach to Schoolwide Student Discipline Know the Board's Policies and Regulations Create a Student Discipline Plan Make the Campus Safe Supervise Adequately Establish Lines of Communication With the Police 9. Dealing With Unmet Expectations: Marginal and Incompetent Teachers The Day of Reckoning Analyzing Teacher Performance Dealing With Unsatisfactory Teachers: A Four-Phase Process Avoiding or Dealing Effectively With Grievances 10. Ensuring Due Process and Building the File Why Tenure? Due Process Documentation and File Building The Formal Disciplinary Memo Alternatives to the Dismissal Process Epilogue Resources Resource A: Elementary School Parent Survey Resource B: Secondary School Parent Survey Resource C: Summative Teacher Performance Evaluation Resource D: Teacher Self-Assessment Inventory of Skills and Interests References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Achieve success step by stepThe topic of management by wandering around is not new, but the authorsAe approach is fresh and timely. This current rendition based on the original work by Frase and Hetzel gives new and seasoned administrators smart, practical advice about how to owander aroundo with purpose and develop a more interactive leadership style. This text cites more than 20 well-constructed research studies that show how management by wandering around produces desirable outcomes, including:Higher student achievementImproved school culture Higher teacher efficacyManagement by wandering around is not a rigid, linear process: it is a combination of proven methods and a flexible, organic approach to the whole of leadership. Topics covered include developing meeting agendas, supervising instruction, dealing with marginal teachers, and creating safe campuses. The bottom line? If you want to accomplish more, start by getting out moreuand this book shows you how to make it count.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- School management by wandering around
- 9781412996044 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 141299604X (pbk. : alk. paper)