Memorial Library of Music
- Multiple languages. Staff notation.
- [approximately 1600 to 1950]
- Physical description
- various pieces
Also available at
At the library
Finding aidOnline Archive of California
Limited on-site access
Researchers in the Stanford community can request to view these materials in the Special Collections Reading Room. Entry to the Reading Room is by appointment only.
|CALL # VARIES|
Items from this collection are featured in:
- Finding aid
- Administrative finding aid
Partial finding aid
- The Memorial Library of Music is a collection of printed and manuscript scores and composers' letters, dating primarily from the 18th and 19th centuries, but ranging into both the 17th and 20th centuries. Musical genres range from intimate piano works and country dance music to large-scale orchestral and vocal works, with a strong emphasis on opera. Many of the scores are autographs or inscribed by the composer. The original collection was created by George T. Keating and conceived as part of Stanford University's memorial to alumni who gave their lives in World War II. The Music Library actively adds works to the collection, particularly 18th and 19th century operatic works. A guide to the initial collection was completed by Nathan van Patten, professor of bibliography in 1950, and has been heavily annotated over the years. A partial online version is also available. Newer additions are cataloged separately and appear in Stanford's online catalog. Adminstrative files for the collection are available in a separate collection (M0639).
- To request individual items, please do so from the individual item's record, or write to Special Collections at firstname.lastname@example.org with the appropriate call number.
- Collection is open for research; materials must be requested at least 24 hours in advance of intended use.
- Cite as
- Memorial Library of Music Collection, MLM. Dept. of Special Collections, Stanford University Libraries, Stanford, Calif.
- Property rights reside with the repository. Literary rights reside with the creators of the documents or their heirs. To obtain permission to publish or reproduce, please contact the Public Services Librarian of the Dept. of Special Collections.
- Related Work
- Catalogue (work): Van Patten, Nathan, 1887-1956, compiler. Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music.