Uncertain risks regulated
- edited by Michelle Everson and Ellen Vos.
- Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge-Cavendish, 2012.
- Copyright notice
- Physical description
- xix, 430 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm.
- Law, science and society.
Law Library (Crown)
|KJE6778 .U53 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- The scientification of politics and the politicisation of science / Michelle Everson and Ellen Vos
- Opening Pandora's box : contextualising the precautionary principle in the European Union / Elisabeth Fisher
- Uncertainties in regulating food safety in France / Olivier Borraz and Julien Besançon
- The origins of regulatory uncertainty in the UK food safety regime / Henry Rothstein
- The Dutch regulatory framework for food : risk analysis based food law in the Netherlands / Bernd M.J. van der Meulen
- Food safety in Poland : standards, procedures and institutions / Aleksander Surdej and Karolina Żurek
- A default-logic model of factfinding for United States regulation of food safety / Vern Walker
- The French regulatory system on GMOs / Christine Noiville
- The UK regulatory system on GMOs : expanding the debate? / Maria Lee
- GMO regulation in the Netherlands : a story of hope, fear and the limits of "poldering" / Han Somsen
- The Polish regulatory system on GMOs : between EU influence and national nuances / Patrycja Dabrowska
- The regulation of environmental risks of GMOs in the United States / Michael Rodemeyer
- The EU regulatory system on food safety : between trust and safety / Ellen Vos
- The EU regulatory system for GMOs / Greg Shaffer and Mark Pollack
- European regulation of GMOs : thinking about 'judicial' review in the WTO / Joanne Scott
- The Codex Alimentarius Commission and its food safety measures in the light of their new status / Marille Matthee
- Three intimate tales of law and science : hope, despair and transcendence / Michelle Everson
- Science, knowledge and uncertainty in EU risk regulation / Marjolein van Asselt, Ellen Vos and Bram Rooijackers
- The role of scientific experts in risk regulation of foods / Harry Kuiper
- Inclusive risk governance through discourse, deliberation and participation / Andreas Klinke
- Sound science in the European and global market : Karl Polanyi in Geneva / Christian Joerges.
- Publisher's Summary
- Uncertain Risks Regulated compares various models of risk regulation in order to understand how these systems shape the relationship between law and science, and how they attempt to overcome public distrust in science-based decision-making. The book contributes to the ongoing debate relating to uncertainty and risks - and the difficulties faced by the European Union in particular - in regulating theses issues, taking account of both national and international constraints. The term 'uncertain risk' is comparable with notions of hazard and indeterminate risk, as deployed within the social sciences; but it also aims to capture the modern regulatory reality that a non-quantifiable hazard must still be addressed by society, law and its regulators. Decisions must be taken in the face of uncertainty. And, whilst it is not possible to provide clear cut models of risk regulation, in focusing on regulatory practices at a national, EU and international level, the contributors to this volume aim to use fact finding as a core instrument of learning for risk regulation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415542524 20160609
- Publication date
- Copyright date
- Law, science and society
- "A GlassHouse book."
- 9780415542524 (pbk.)
- 0415542529 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: