Mapping multiple literacies : an introduction to Deleuzian literacy studies
- Masny, Diana.
- London ; New York, NY : Continuum International Pub. Group, c2012.
- Physical description
- xii, 190 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LC149 .M28 2012
- Unknown LC149 .M28 2012
- Cole, David R.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Foreword by Claire Colebrook / Acknowledgements / 1. Introduction to Mapping Multiple Literacies: Deleuzian Literacy Studies / 2. Cartographies of Multiple Literacies / 3. Mapping Literacies with Affect / 4. What is Reading? Cartographies of Reading / 5. Cartographies of Talking Groups / 6. Mapping Power and Literacies / 7. Mapping the Literacy of Digital Futures / 8. Conclusion to Mapping Multiple Literacies. / References / Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This title offers a research based new approach to understanding literacy as a process and a social practice, drawing on the philosophy of Gilles Dilleuze. "Mapping Multiple Literacies" brings together the latest theory and research in the fields of literacy study and European philosophy through a synthesis of Multiple Literacies Theory (MLT) and the philosophical work of Gilles Deleuze. It frames the process of becoming literate as a fluid process involving multiple modes of presentation, and explains these processes in terms of making maps of our social lives and ways of doing things together. For Deleuze, language acquisition is a social activity that we can only follow. Masny and Cole draw on Deleuze's thinking to expand the repertoires of literacy research and understanding. They outline how we can understand literacy as a social practice and map the ways in which becoming literate may take hold and transform communities. The chapters in this book weave together theory, data and practice to open up a creative new area of literacy studies and to provoke vigorous debate about the sociology of literacy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Diana Masny and David R. Cole.
- 9781441157683 (ePub ebook)
- 1441157689 (ePub ebook)