Presidents and civil liberties from Wilson to Obama : a story of poor custodians
- Samuel Walker.
- Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- xxi, 546 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
- Walker, Samuel, 1942-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 511-520) and index.
- Introduction: Presidents and civil liberties
- Woodrow Wilson and the suppression of civil liberties in World War I
- Harding, Coolidge, and Hoover : civil liberties in the wilderness
- Franklin D. Roosevelt : the mixed legacy of a strong president
- Harry Truman : courage and contradictions
- Dwight D. Eisenhower : a failure of presidential leadership
- John F. Kennedy : the failed promise of the new frontier
- The glory and the tragedy of Lyndon Johnson
- Richard Nixon : a singular abuse of presidential power
- Gerald Ford : a minor president in very interesting times
- Jimmy Carter : good civil libertarian, failed president
- Ronald Reagan- and George H. W. Bush : the neoconservative assault on civil liberties
- Bill Clinton : the divided soul of a "new democrat"
- George W. Bush : a systematic assault on the constitution over to "The Dark Side"
- Conclusion: Reflections on presidents, civil liberties, and democracy : with observations on Barack Obama.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is a history of the civil liberties records of American presidents from Woodrow Wilson to Barack Obama. It examines the full range of civil liberties issues: First Amendment rights of freedom of speech, press and assembly; due process; equal protection, including racial justice, women's rights, and lesbian and gay rights; privacy rights, including reproductive freedom; and national security issues. The book argues that presidents have not protected or advanced civil liberties, and that several have perpetrated some of the worst violations. Some Democratic presidents (Wilson and Roosevelt), moreover, have violated civil liberties as badly as some Republican presidents (Nixon and Bush). This is the first book to examine the full civil liberties records of each president (thus, placing a president's record on civil rights with his record on national security issues), and also to compare the performance on particular issues of all the presidents covered.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781107016606 20160614
- Publication date
- 9781107016606 (hbk.)
- 1107016606 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: