From the dress-up corner to the senior prom : navigating gender and sexuality diversity in preK-12 schools
- Jennifer Bryan.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxvi, 354 p. : ill ; 27 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC212.9 .B79 2012||Unknown|
- Bryan, Jennifer, 1961-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 343-354).
- Foreword Introduction Chapter One: Gender and Sexuality Diversity at School: What Educators Need to Know and Then Some Section I: GSD: Developmentally Appropriate Practice Section II: (Biological) Sex: Defining the Terms-- Learning the Language-- Grasping the Concepts Section III: Gender: Defining the Terms-- Learning the Language-- Grasping the Concepts Section IV: Sexuality: Defining the Terms-- Learning the Language-- Grasping the Concepts Chapter Two: Heteronormativity at School: Questioning the "Natural Order" of Things Chapter Three: A Framework for Engaging GSD at School: Educational Mission-- Best Pedagogical Practices Section I: Educational Mission Section II: Standards of Good Practice Chapter Four: GSD at School: Understanding What You See-- Thinking Critically About What You See Section I: What We See-- How We See Section II: GSD at School Chapter Five: GSD Professional Development: "Learnings" that Lead to Best Practices Section I: Critical Approaches to GSD Professional Development Section II: Creating the Context for Learning Section III: Program Evaluation: What Did I Learn? What Should We Do Next? Chapter Six: GSD in Early Childhood and Elementary Education: Strategies, Application and Curriculum Section I: Communication Strategies Section II: Developmental Tasks, Units of Study, GSD Lessons Chapter Seven: GSD in Middle and High School Education: Development, Safety, and Curriculum Section I: Developmental Considerations Section II: "Safety" for GLBTQI Students at School Section III: Curriculum Integration Chapter Eight: Comprehensive Sexuality Education: Providing Foundations for GSD Literacy Chapter Nine: Leadership, Policies and Programs: Supporting GSD Education at Schools (Not for Administrators Only!) Section I: The Challenge of Effective Leadership Section II: Policies and Philosophies Section III: Creating and Implementing Policies Section IV: Programs that Support Gender and Sexuality Diversity Education Chapter Ten: Personal and Professional Identity in GSD Education: Teaching as a "Whole Person" Section I: Teacher Identity Development: Where Professional and Personal Meet Section II: The Visibility Dilemma Section III: GLBTQI Educators and Simple Visibility Section IV: The Role of Not-GLBTQI Educators References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781607099796 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- Very few PreK-12 teachers are adequately trained to address the gender identity and sexual identity of their students in a developmentally-appropriate and pedagogically-sound manner. Yet responsible adults-parents, educators, pre-service teachers, coaches, religious instructors, camp administrators and school counselors- must help children navigate the inherently diverse, increasingly complex world of gender and sexuality in the twenty-first century. From the Dress-Up Corner to the Senior Prom is a practical, forward thinking resource for anyone involved in educating children and adolescents. Jennifer Bryan takes readers into classrooms, administrative meetings, recess, parent conferences, and the annual pep rally to witness the daily manifestations of Gender and Sexuality Diversity at school. She provides a coherent framework for understanding what readers "see, " and invites them to use a contemporary, heart/mind perspective as they consider the true developmental needs of all elementary, middle, and high school students. The book features thoughtful questions, models of dialogue, accessible lesson plans, and many pedagogical strategies. At the heart of this book, though, are the evocative stories from teachers, students, and parents that Bryan has listened to over the span of her career. These personal anecdotes bring the comprehensive explorations of this seminal work to life.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781607099796 20160608
- Publication date
- 9781607099789 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1607099780 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781607099796 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1607099799 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781607099802 (electronic)
- 1607099802 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: