Early childhood literacy
- edited by Kate Pahl and Jennifer Rowsell.
- Los Angeles : SAGE, 2012.
- Physical description
- 4 v. : ill ; 24 cm.
- SAGE library of educational thought and practice.
Education Library (Cubberley)
Library has: v.1-
|LB1139.5 .L35 E15 2012 V.1||Unknown|
|LB1139.5 .L35 E15 2012 V.2||Unknown|
|LB1139.5 .L35 E15 2012 V.3||Unknown|
|LB1139.5 .L35 E15 2012 V.4||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references.
- VOLUME ONE: EARLY LITERACY IN THE HOME PART ONE: LITERACY AND HOME CULTURE Five on the First of December! - Liz Brooker What Can We Learn from Case Studies of Early Childhood Literacy? Family Reading Behavior and Early Literacy Skills in Pre-School Children from Low-Income Backgrounds - Stacy Storch Bracken and Janet Fischel Order in the House! - Anna Johnson et al Associations around Household Chaos, the Home Literacy Environment, Maternal Reading Ability and Children's Early Reading Ephemera, Mess and Miscellaneous Piles - Kate Pahl Texts and Practices in Families Bilingual Families as Literacy Eco-Systems - Charmian Kenner PART TWO: MULTILINGUAL AND BILINGUAL PRACTICES Emergent Biliteracy in Young Mexican Immigrant Children - Iliana Reyes and Patricia Azuara Finding the Keys to Biliteracy - Charmian Kenner et al How Young Children Interpret Different Writing Systems Multilingual Literacies and Third Script Acquisition - Daniele Moore Young Chinese Children in French Immersion in Vancouver, Canada Exploring Connections between Emergent Literacy and Bilingualism - Iliana Reyes In Other Words - Marjorie Orellana et al Translating or 'Paraphrasing' as Family Literacy Practice in Immigrant Households PART THREE: STORY AND PICTURE BOOKS Talking about Picture Books - Jane Torr The Influence of Maternal Education on Four-Year-Old Children's Talk with Mothers and Pre-School Teachers Young Children's Readings of Wordless Picture Books - Judith Lysaker What's 'Self' Got to Do with It PART FOUR: SHARED BOOK READING What No Bedtime Stories Story Means - Shirley Bryce Heath Narrative Skills at Home and School Unsettling the Bedtime Story - Susan Nichols Parents' Reports of Home Literacy Practices Low-Income Latino Mothers' Booksharing Styles and Children's Emergent Literacy Development - Margaret Caspe Vocabulary Acquisition in Young Children - Emma Hepburn, Bridget Egan and Naomi Flynn The Role of the Story Mother-Child Story Book Interactions - Joan Kaderavek and Lori Pakulski Literacy Orientation of Pre-Schoolers with Hearing Impairment The Relationship between Maternal Beliefs and Behavior during Shared Reading - Susan Meagher et al VOLUME TWO: EARLY LITERACY AND INTERVENTIONS PART ONE: EARLY LITERACY INTERVENTIONS A Review of Parent Interventions for Pre-School Children's Language and Emergent Literacy - Elaine Reese, Alison Sparks and Diana Leyva Long-Term Outcomes of Early Reading Intervention - Jane Hurry and Kathy Sylva The Early Intervention Solution - Annette Woods and Robyn Henderson Enabling or Constraining Literacy Learning Systematic and Engaging Early Literacy - Gary Bingham, Kendra Hall-Kenyon and Barbara Culatta Examining the Effects of Paraeducator Implemented Early Literacy Instruction The Birth-to-Schools Study - Maria Evangelou, Greg Brooks and Sally Smith Evidence on the Effectiveness of PEEP, an Early Intervention for Children at Risk of Educational Under-Achievement PART TWO: COMPREHENSION What Counts as Literacy in Early Childhood? - Catherine Snow Young Children's Approaches to Books - Caitlin McMunn Dooley The Emergence of Comprehension If I Had a Magic Wand I'd Magic Her out for the Book - Fiona Collins and Cathy Svensson The Rich Literacy Practices of Competent Early Readers Mind, Brain and Literacy - Usha Goswami Biomarkers as Usable Knowledge for Education 'High 5!' - Susan Dymock and Tom Nicholson Strategies to Enhance Comprehension of Expository Text PART THREE: FAMILY LITERACY Toward a Social-Contextual Approach to Family Literacy - Elsa Roberts Auerbach Taking Stock of Family Literacy - Jim Anderson et al Some Contemporary Perspectives Children's Perspectives on Family Literacy - Cathy Nutbrown and Peter Hannon Methodological Issues, Findings and Implications for Practice Parents' Construction of Their Children as Gendered, Literate Subjects - Susan Nichols A Critical Discourse Analysis Fathers' Involvement in Young Children's Literacy Development - Anne Morgan, Cathy Nutbrown and Peter Hannon Implications for Family Literacy Programs PART FOUR: CURRICULUM Evaluation of Curricular Approaches to Enhance Pre-School Early Literacy Skills - Janet Fischel et al Globalization, Literacy, Curriculum Practice - Allan Luke and Victoria Carrington Where Are the Childhoods in Childhood Literacy? An Exploration in Outer (School) Space - Anne Haas Dyson Getting the Big Picture - Barbara Comber and Susan Nichols Regulating Knowledge in the Early Childhood Literacy Curriculum Popular Culture in the Literacy Curriculum - Jackie Marsh A Bourdieuan Analysis Staying in the (Curricular) Lines - Anne Haas Dyson Practice Constraints and Possibilities in Childhood Writing VOLUME THREE: EARLY LITERACY AND SOCIOCULTURAL TURN PART ONE: IDENTITY Interest and Agency in Two- and Three-Year-Olds' Participation in Emergent Writing - Deborah Wells Rowe and Carin Neitzel Playing House - Maureen Kendrick A 'Sideways' Glance at Literacy and Identity in Early Childhood Identity, Childhood Culture and Literacy Learning - Catherine Compton-Lilly A Case Study The 'Good' Parent in Relation to Early Childhood Literacy - Susan Nichols, Helen Nixon and Jennifer Rowsell Symbolic Terrain and Lived Practice 'Are You Guys Girls?' Boys, Identity Texts and Disney Princess Play - Karen Wohlwend PART TWO: PLAY Three Decades in - Kathleen Roskos et al Priming for Meta-Analysis in Play-Literacy Research Interactions, Intersections and Improvisations - Kate Pahl Studying the Multimodal Texts and Classroom Talk of Six- to Seven-Year-Olds Social Contexts of Development - Maureen Vandermaas-Peeler et al Parent-Child Interactions during Reading and Play Writing Childhoods under Construction - Anne Haas Dyson Re-Visioning 'Copying' in Early Childhood Children's Spontaneous Play in Writer's Workshop - Judith Lysaker, Jennifer Wheat and Emily Benson Examining the Play-Literacy Interface - Kathleen Roskos and James Christie A Critical Review and Future Directions PART THREE: THE ARTS Drawings as an Alternative Way of Understanding Young Children's Constructions of Literacy - Maureen Kendrick and Roberta McKay Actively Engaging with Stories through Drama - Donna Sayers Adomat Portraits of Two Young Readers Word-Play and Musike - Sophie Alcock, Joy Cullen and Alison St George Young Children Learning Literacies while Communicating Playfully PART FOUR: MULTIMODALITY If She's Left with Books She'll Just Eat Them - Rosie Flewitt, Melanie Nind and Jane Payler Considering Inclusive Multimodal Literacy Practices Narratives, Artifacts and Cultural Identities - Kate Pahl An Ethnographic Study of Communicative Practices in Homes Damsels in Discourse - Karen Wohlwend Girls Consuming and Producing Identity Texts through Disney Princess Play Staring at the Page - Lesley Lancaster The Functions of Gaze in a Young Child's Interpretation of Symbolic Forms 'Third Spaces' Are Interesting Places - Rachel Levy Applying Third Space Theory to Nursery-Aged Children's Constructions of Themselves as Readers VOLUME FOUR: NEW DIRECTIONS PART ONE: POLICY Families at a Disadvantage - Lyn Tett and Jim Crowther Class, Culture and Literacies Talking about Literacy - Mary Gomez, Amy Johnson and Karen Gisladottir A Cultural Model of Teaching and Learning Untangled Report of the National Early Literacy Panel - Timothy Shanahan and Christopher Lonigan Changing Classroom Practice through the English National Literacy Strategy - Adam Lefstein A Micro-Interactional Perspective PART TWO: ECOLOGICAL 'From Bricks to Clicks' - Helen Nixon Hybrid Commercial Spaces in the Landscape of Early Literacy and Learning An Ecological Perspective on the Socially Embedded Nature of Reading and Writing - Sylvia Pantaleo Access to Print in Low-Income and Middle-Income Communities - Susan Neuman and Donna Celano An Ecological Study of Four Neighborhoods The Knowledge Gap - Susan Neuman and Donna Celano Implications of Leveling the Playing Field for Low-Income and Middle-Income Children PART THREE: DIGITAL Technology and Literacy in Early Childhood Educational Settings - Cathy Burnett A Review of Research Young Children's Play in Online Virtual Worlds - Jackie Marsh 'I Get My Facts from the Internet' - Marianne McTavish A Case Study of the Teaching and Learning of Information Literacy in In-School and Out-of-School Contexts A Is for Avatar - Karen Wohlwend Young Children in Literacy 2.0 Worlds and Literacy 1.0 Schools Digital Childhood and Youth - Victoria Carrington and Jackie Marsh New Texts, New Literacies Bringing Ethnography to a Multimodal Investigation of Early Literacy in a Digital Age - R Flewitt.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780857029775 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Early years literacy research represents the foundation of literacy education, influencing the trajectory of literacy development as far as the high school years. This collection features key discussions and debates about the application of particular methods within the field, by drawing on multiple methodological approaches and diverse theoretical perspectives. The collection is organized around the following key headings, which represent the broad scope of early literacy research and illustrate diverse perspectives: Volume One: Early Literacy in the Home Volume Two: Early Literacy and Interventions Volume Three: Early Literacy and the Socio-Cultural Turn Volume Four: New Directions in Early Literacy Policy and Practice The various studies represented under these headings have been carefully chosen for their historical influence and their representation of the diversity of perspectives that constitutes the discipline. They illustrate the origins of the field and include key methods for early literacy research. The collection takes a broad view of what literacy is in homes, communities, schools, and in terms of local and global policy, with a section on new directions in the field, and will be of great interest to literacy scholars worldwide.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780857029775 20160614
- Publication date
- Sage library of educational thought and practice
- 9780857029775 (set)
- 0857029770 (set)
Browse related items
Start at call number: