Developing mindful students, skillful thinkers, thoughtful schools
- Martin Buoncristiani, Patricia Buoncristiani ; foreword by Arthur L. Costa.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2012.
- Physical description
- xviii, 171 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1590.3 .B86 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 162-166) and index.
- Foreword by Arthur L. Costa Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Some Game Changers: The Brain, Intelligence, and the Role of Metacognition 2. How People Learn 3. Deconstructing Metacognition 4. Behaving Metacognitively: Habits of Mind 5. The Wright Brothers: An Example of Skillful Thinking 6. The Language of Thinking: How can I know what I think until I hear what I say? 7. Creative Problem Solving 8. Knowledge Networks: The Organization of Knowledge to Facilitate Metacognition 9. The Metacognitive Classroom 10. Two Powerful Classroom Tools 11. Creating a Metacognitive Learning Community: School and Home Resources for Teachers References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781452220147 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- Learning outside the box begins with a thought. The ability to memorize facts is not enough to equip students to solve problems or navigate an evolving world. If we educate young people to become flexible, metacognitive thinkers - and model that for them - they will understand how to adapt their learning and successfully find their way in new territory. This book shows school leaders how to build a thinking culture within the entire learning community. Grounded in the research of the best proponents of critical thinking and aligned to one of the key goals of the Common Core State Standards, this practical guide provides numerous strategies to help teachers and leaders: shape the school culture so that it promotes a common vision around thinking; create classroom conditions that help students become mindful thinkers; ask questions that develop skilful thinking; help students formulate questions that facilitate problem solving; and, work with parents to encourage skilful thinking in their children. Included are practical classroom strategies and illustrations, curriculum maps, and tools for developing students' creativity and decision-making skills. This timely resource is ideal for preparing leaders, teachers, and students to meet the escalating challenges of the future.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781452220147 20160608
- Publication date
- 9781452220147 (pbk.)
- 145222014X (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: