Curriculum theory : conflicting visions and enduring concerns
- Michael Stephen Schiro.
- 2nd ed.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : SAGE Publications, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxi, 297 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1570 .S333 2013||Unknown|
- Schiro, Michael.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 269-277) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments Chapter 1: Introduction to the Curriculum Ideologies Chapter 2: Scholar Academic Ideology Chapter 3: Social Efficiency Ideology Chapter 4: Learner Centered Ideology Chapter 5: Social Reconstruction Ideology Chapter 6: A Comparative Overview of the Curriculum Ideologies Chapter 7: Individual Perspectives on the Curriculum Ideologies Appendix: Curriculum Ideologies Inventory References Index About the Author.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412988902 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- The Second Edition of Curriculum Theory: Conflicting Visions and Enduring Concerns presents a clear, unbiased, and rigorous description of the major curriculum philosophies that have influenced educators and schooling over the last century. Author Michael Stephen Schiro analyzes four educational visions: Scholar Academic, Social Efficiency, Learner Centered, and Social ReconstructionA'to enable readers to reflect on their own educational beliefs and more productively interact with educators who might hold different beliefs. New to the Second Edition: Additional historical material on the Scholar Academic ideology is added in Chapter 2. In Chapter 2, the section on teaching was reorganized and a new subsection is added on Teachers as Transmitters, Mediators, or Translators. Several new sections are added to Chapter 4 on the Learner Centered ideology: The major section provides a description and analysis of a Learner Centered curriculum. Others include things such as a discussion the relation between knowledge and experience, and the nature and structure of the learning environment of the ideology. Several sections of Chapter 4 have been reorganized under new headings to add clarity to the chapter. Seven new sections have been added to Chapter 6: Six of these sections are plays in which four teachers discuss their beliefs about enduring curricular issues and related current "hot" curriculum topics, in ways that highlight the differences between the ideologies. An additional section in Chapter 6 discusses differences in how each of the ideologies takes advantage of the use of technology in curriculum and during instruction.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412988902 20160614
- Publication date
- 9781412988902 (pbk.)
- 141298890X (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: