Public no more : a new path to excellence for America's public universities
- Gary C. Fethke and Andrew J. Policano.
- Stanford, California : Stanford Business Books, an imprint of Stanford University Press, 
- Physical description
- xi, 265 pages ; 24 cm
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2328.62 .U6 F48 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 243-255) and index.
- Introduction : challenges, solutions, and themes
- Challenges facing public research universities
- A framework for defining, creating, and distributing value
- Tuition setting in practice
- Basic financial structure of public universities
- Two prominent models for resource allocation : central-administration management and responsibility-centered management
- Subsidies to public higher education
- An efficiency-based subsidy and tuition policy
- The quality of education
- Cultural impediments to change
- Templates for change and lost opportunities
- Public no more.
- Publisher's Summary
- Public No More examines the quickly changing environment within higher education, including the permanent decline in state support for public universities. This book raises the question of how research universities can survive with reduced subsidies and increased competition from both non-profit and growing for-profit institutions. Authors Gary C. Fethke and Andrew J. Policano, both longtime university administrators, offer a strategic framework for determining how tuition and access should be set and how universities should decide on quality and program scope. Throughout the text, real-world examples illustrate successful and unsuccessful adoptions of the authors' proposals. Leadership within public higher education, policymakers, and researchers alike will find Public No More to be a sober and well-grounded guide to what lies ahead for universities across the nation.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780804780506 20160608
- Publication date
- 9780804780506 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 0804780501 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9780804786959 (pbk : alk. paper)
- 080478695X (pbk : alk. paper)
Browse related items
Start at call number: