America according to Colbert : satire as public pedagogy
- Sophia A. McClennen.
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 214 p. : ill ; 22 cm.
- Education, politics, and public life.
- McClennen, Sophia A.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -204) and index.
- I Stand By This Man: Colbert Speaks Truthiness to Power The Public at Risk: Dissent and Democracy after 9/11 Proud to Be an American Satirist America According to The Colbert Report: Or How a TV Show Can Change the Way a Nation Thinks Amusing Ourselves to Activism?
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230104662 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Is the comedy of Stephen Colbert simply fun or is it powerful political satire? Does it entertain viewers or does it empower them?Or does it teach us that in today's media-saturated world those binaries make no sense? America According to Colbert: Satire as Public Pedagogy claims that Colbert's satire fosters critical thinking about social issues, encourages active citizenship, and entertains the viewer - all at the same time. The first book to cover the various themes and features of The Colbert Report, America According to Colbert offers readers insight into the powerful ways that Colbert's comedy challenges the cult of ignorance that has threatened meaningful public debate and social dialogue since 9/11.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780230104662 20160614
- Publication date
- Education, politics and public life
- 9780230104662 (hardback)
- 0230104665 (hardback)
Browse related items
Start at call number: