- Xu, Chengbei, 1942-
- 1. The birth and evolution of Peking opera--
- 2. The stage, props and orchestra--
- 3. Performing art--
- 4. Performers and performing schools--
- 5. Classic plays--
- 6. Modern Peking operas--
- 7. Conventions of Peking opera--
- 8. The appreciation of Chinese opera--
- 9. Peking opera today-- Appendix: chronological table of the Chinese dynasties.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Peking opera is one of the most distinctive traditions in Chinese culture - a tradition that can seem mysterious and complex to foreign eyes. In this illustrated introduction, Xu Chengbei explains the colourful make up, intricate costumes, characters, staging, stories and music associated with Peking opera, and discusses the origins and development of this unique performance art. Peking Opera is an essential starting point for all those interested in this intriguing part of China's cultural heritage.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Introductions to Chinese culture
- "Translated from the original Chinese by Chen Gengtao"--Cover flap.
- "Originally published by China Intercontinental Press as Peking opera (9787508516646) in 2010"--T.p. verso.
- 9780521188210 (pbk.)
- 0521188210 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: