"News from the Republick of Letters" : Scottish students, Charles Mackie, and the United Provinces, 1650-1750
- by Esther Mijers.
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 2012.
- Physical description
- 223 p. : map ; 25 cm.
- Studies in medieval and Reformation traditions v. 161.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LA651.5 .M55 2012||Unknown|
- Mijers, Esther.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -213) and index.
- Acknowledgements Map: The United Provinces c. 1700 Introduction a. Historiography b. Approach and Outline c. Sources and Terminology I. Context and Numbers a. Scots in the United Provinces b. Students II. A Dutch Education a. The Scottish Infrastructure b. Institutions and Universities c. The Curriculum d. The Grand Tour III. Going Dutch a. Scotland and the Scottish Universities b. The Book Trade IV. Charles Mackie and the Limits of Dutch Learning a. Mackie as Agent in the Republic of Letters b. The Polyhistor Conclusion Appendix: Scottish Students in the United Provinces, 1650-1750 Bibliography Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004210684 20160608
- Publisher's Summary
- The late seventeenth century Netherlands have traditionally been viewed as the intellectual entrepot of Europe in general, and for Scotland in particular. Scottish students flocked in large numbers to the Dutch universities, bringing back ideas and books which influenced Scottish learning well into the eighteenth century. This book is the first full-length study of Scots in the United Provinces between 1650 and 1750. It analyses their numbers at the Dutch universities, the education they received and the impact this had on Scottish learning, on the eve of the Enlightenment, showing that the Scottish-Dutch relationship provided the infrastructure, which allowed Scotland to take part in a wider Republic of Letters and that its culture was increasingly characterised by it.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9789004210684 20160608
- Scottish students > Netherlands > History > 17th century.
- Scottish students > Netherlands > History > 18th century.
- Education, Higher > Netherlands > History > 17th century.
- Education, Higher > Netherlands > History > 18th century.
- Scotland > Emigration and immigration > History > 17th century.
- Scotland > Emigration and immigration > History > 18th century.
- Mackie, Charles, 1688-1770.
- Publication date
- Studies in medieval and Reformation traditions, 1573-4188 ; v. 161
- 9789004210684 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9004210687 (hardback : alk. paper)
- 9789004228160 (e-book)
Browse related items
Start at call number: