Young children and the arts : nurturing imagination and creativity
- edited by Carol Korn-Bursztyn.
- Charlotte, NC : Information Age Pub., c2012.
- Physical description
- xv, 221 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1139.5 .A78 Y68 2012||Unknown|
- Korn-Bursztyn, Carol, 1953-
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- Young Children and the Arts: Nurturing Imagination and Creativity examines the place of the arts in the experiences of young and very young children at home and in out-of-home settings at school and in the community. There is great need for development of resources in the arts specifically designed to introduce babies and toddlers to participatory experiences in the visual arts, dance, music, and storytelling/theater. This book presents valuable guidelines for early childhood teachers, families, caregivers and community organizations. Young Children and the Arts presents a comprehensive approach to the arts that is aligned with early childhood developmentally appropriate practice and that combines an exploratory, materials-based approach with an aesthetic-education approach for children from birth to eight years of age. It addresses both how the arts are foundational to learning, and how teachers and parents can nurture young children's developing imagination and creativity. The models presented emphasize a participatory approach, introducing young children to the arts through activities that call for engagement, initiative and creative activity. Additionally, Young Children and the Arts addresses the intersection of early childhood education and the arts-at points of convergence, and at moments of tension. The role of families and communities in developing and promoting arts suffused experiences for and with young children are addressed. Young Children and the Arts examines the role of innovative arts policy in supporting a broad-based early arts program across the diverse settings in which young children and their families live, work, and learn.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781617357442 20160614
- Publication date
- 9781617357435 (pbk.)
- 161735743X (pbk.)
- 9781617357442 (hardcover)
- 9781617357459 (ebook)
- 1617357448 (hardcover)
- 1617357456 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: