Digital learning for all, now : a school leader's guide for 1:1 on a budget
- Jonathan P. Costa, Sr. ; foreword by Kenneth R. Freeston.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 178 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB1044.87 .C677 2012||Unknown|
- Costa, Jonathan P.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 165-168) and index.
- List of Tables and Illustrations Foreword by Kenneth R. Freeston Preface: Potential Within Reach Acknowledgments About the Author Part I: Why We Need Digital Learning for All, Now 1. Beyond a Doubt: Digital Is the Future of Teaching and Learning Starting With the End in Mind Truth 1: The Future of Learning and Work Is Digital Truth 2: Proper Preparation for the Digital Age Requires Digital Access Truth 3: Continued Investment in Print Is a Waste Chapter Summary Part II: Getting to 1:1 2. BYOD: Crowdsourcing Hardware and Closing the Equity Gap An Introduction to Bring Your Own Device Three Trends that Make BYOD Possible Implementation Challenges for BYOD Planning for the Issues and Adjustments Needed for BYOD Chapter Summary 3. Take the Open Path: The Browser and Open Source--Saving Money and Improving Learning Introduction to Open-Source Software How Much Can We Save? Open Source Productivity Software Resources Strategies for Supporting Open-Source Change Open Source and Online Instructional Materials Free, Engaging, and Rigorous 4. Overcoming Barriers to Success: Strategies for Defeating the Inertia of Print and Other Blocking Forces Unwavering Faith Barrier 1: It's All About Control--Part A: Curriculum and Instruction Barrier 1: It's All About Control--Part B: Access and Equipment Barrier 2: One Size Fits All Barrier 3: Risk Aversion Chapter Summary Part III: Building the System 5. Systems and Measurement: Aligning Instruction, Assessment, and Support Systems With 21st Century Outcomes Three Phases of Technology Integration Systems of School Improvement and Their Impact on 21st Century Learning Four Foundational Systems: Part 1--Focus, Focus, Focus Four Foundational Systems: Part 2--Instruction and Assessment The Next Level: Critical Support Systems--Curriculum and Communication The Next Level: Professional Support, Professional Evaluation, and Resource Deployment Chapter Summary: What Is Your Readiness for Realignment? 6. Leading the Change Process: Modeling the Skills and Behaviors We Expect From Our Students Staring Into the Abyss 21st Century Skills: Modeling the Change We Hope to See Skill 1: Communication Skill 2: Independence and Collaboration Skill 3: Innovation and Adaptability Skill 4: Critical Thinking Skill 5: Information Literacy Skill 6: Personal Responsibility Conclusion Glossary of Terms References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides school and district leaders with 2 important things: 1) a field tested process and strategies for making the shift from a print to a digital learning environment; and 2) tools for implementing that process. By taking advantage of the constant innovation in the device market and a new generation of open-source resources, the author will show how to affordably transform print school systems into ones that leverage the power of one-to-one computing to become substantially digital and royalty free learning centers. In addition, he will show educators how to create the supporting instructional frameworks required for making the transition to one-to-one pay off for student learning.Divided into 3 sections, the first part of the book makes the case for change by examining the research and todayAes educational context. The second part of the book focuses on the practical strategies needed to get a one-to-one instructional environment in an era of limited financial resources, including open source resources, and Bring Your Own Devices. The final part of the book explores the systemic changes that need to accompany the implementation of one-to-one in order for its promise to become a reality, including curriculum, instruction, assessment, and professional development.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781452220055 (pbk.)
- 1452220050 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: