The sustainable university : green goals and new challenges for higher education leaders
- James Martin, James E. Samels & associates.
- Baltimore, Md. : Johns Hopkins University Press, 2012.
- Physical description
- xx, 331 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LB3223 .S745 2012
- Unknown LB3223 .S745 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 299-306) and index.
- The sustainable university: a need to move forward / James Martin and James E. Samels
- Promises made and promises lost: a candid assessment of higher education leadership and the sustainability agenda / Anthony D. Cortese
- Trends, skills, and strategies to catalyze sustainability across institutions / Debra Rowe and Aurora Lang Winslade
- Measuring campus sustainability performance: implementing the first sustainability tracking, assessment, and rating system (STARS) / Judy Walton and Laura Matson
- Institutionalizing sustainability: achieving transformations from the inside / Leith Sharp and Cindy Pollock Shea
- Sustainability: shifting definitions and evolving meanings / Davis Bookhart
- Sustainable citizenship: the challenge for students and their institutions / Terry Link
- Sustainability and the presidency: five starting points / Jo Ann Gora and Robert J. Koester
- Not so fast: a dose of reality about sustainability / Thomas Buchanan and Tara Evans
- The importance of sustainability in the community college setting / Mary Spilde
- Sustainability, leadership, and the role of the chief academic officer / Geoffrey Chase, Peggy Barlett, and Rick Fairbanks
- Greening the endowment / Mary Jo Maydew
- Sustainability and higher education architecture: best practices for institutional leaders / Scott Carlson
- Sustainable campus housing: building a better place / Norbert W. Dunkel and Lynne Deninger / Food for thought: building sustainable food systems and healthy communities / Howard L. Sacks
- University athletics and sustainability: start on the field / DeDee DeLongpre Johnston and Dave Newport
- The impact of sustainability on institutional quality assurance and accreditation / Sandra Elman
- Green legal: creating a culture of vigilance, compliance, and sustainability thinking / James E. Samels and James Martin
- Conclusion: new goals and new challenges for institutional leaders / James Martin and James E. Samels.
- Publisher's Summary
- Colleges and universities are at the forefront of efforts to preserve the earth's resources for future generations. Carbon neutrality, renewable energy sources, green building strategies, and related initiatives require informed and courageous leaders at all levels of higher education. James Martin and James E. Samels have worked closely with college and university presidents, provosts, and trustees to devise best practices that establish sustainable policies and programs in the major areas of institutional operations. While almost seven hundred chief executive officers have signed the American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment, several thousand have yet to do so. This book identifies four of the most formidable challenges facing these presidents and leadership teams along with solutions to address them: effectively institutionalizing sustainability thinking; developing an efficient, flexible system of sustainability benchmarks; implementing an accountable university budget model; and engaging boards of trustees in the campus sustainability agenda. The volume's contributors, including recognized authorities on sustainability as well as campus executives with broad-ranging experience, consider these challenges and discuss specific action plans, best practices, and emerging trends in sustainability efforts. They offer sustainability solutions for almost every major operational area of campus and consider what sustainability means for colleges and universities - and the legacy of those entrusted with shaping their future. The meaning of sustainability is evolving, and it differs from one campus to the next. This timely and comprehensive volume guides institutional leaders past the myths and misconceptions to the sustainable university.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781421404592 (hdbk. : alk. paper)
- 1421404591 (hdbk. : alk. paper)