Lie groups, physics, and geometry : an introduction for physicists, engineers and chemists
- Robert Gilmore.
- Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2008.
- Physical description
- xi, 319 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
Science Library (Li and Ma)
|QA387 .G57 2008||Unknown|
- Gilmore, Robert, 1941-
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 309-312) and index.
- 1. Introduction-- 2. Lie groups-- 3. Matrix groups-- 4. Lie algebras-- 5. Matrix algebras-- 6. Operator algebras-- 7. Exponentiation-- 8. Structure theory for Lie algebras-- 9. Structure theory for simple Lie algebras-- 10. Root spaces and Dykin diagrams-- 11. Real forms-- 12. Riemannian symmetric spaces-- 13. Contraction-- 14. Hydrogenic atoms-- 15. Maxwell's equations-- 16. Lie groups and differential equations-- References-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521884006 20160607
- Publisher's Summary
- Describing many of the most important aspects of Lie group theory, this book presents the subject in a 'hands on' way. Rather than concentrating on theorems and proofs, the book shows the applications of the material to physical sciences and applied mathematics. Many examples of Lie groups and Lie algebras are given throughout the text. The relation between Lie group theory and algorithms for solving ordinary differential equations is presented and shown to be analogous to the relation between Galois groups and algorithms for solving polynomial equations. Other chapters are devoted to differential geometry, relativity, electrodynamics, and the hydrogen atom. Problems are given at the end of each chapter so readers can monitor their understanding of the materials. This is a fascinating introduction to Lie groups for graduate and undergraduate students in physics, mathematics and electrical engineering, as well as researchers in these fields.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780521884006 20160607
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- 9780521884006 (hbk.)
- 0521884004 (hbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: