Lessons in educational equality : successful approaches to intractable problems around the world
- edited by Jody Heymann and Adèle Cassola.
- Oxford [England] ; New York : Oxford University Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 353 p. : ill ; 25 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
LC213 .L47 2012
- Unknown LC213 .L47 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Chapter 1 -- Ending Educational Exclusion -- Jody Heymann and Adele Cassola -- Part 1 -- Tertiary Education and Transitions -- Chapter 2 -- The Quest for Equity in Higher Education across Racial, Ethnic and Gender Groups -- Mokubung Nkomo -- Chapter 3 -- Increasing Gender Equity in Tertiary Science and Engineering Programs -- Laura Pilozzi-Edmonds -- Chapter 4 -- Achieving Equity in Secondary and Tertiary Education for Students with Disabilities and Learning Difficulties Peter Evans and Serge Ebersold -- Part 2 -- Secondary Education and Transitions -- Chapter 5 -- Leveling the Learning Bar in Secondary School across Social Class -- Marie Duru-Bellat -- Chapter 6 -- Addressing Primary and Secondary Education for Socially Excluded Girls -- Marlaine Lockheed and Maureen Lewis -- Chapter 7 -- Effective Approaches to Making Inclusive Education a Part of Education for All -- Bob Prouty, Koli Banik, and Deepa Srikantaiah -- Part 3 -- Primary Education and Transitions -- Chapter 8 -- Achieving Quality Primary Education for the Poor through State-NGO Partnerships -- Ebony Bertorelli and Aneel Brar -- Chapter 9 -- The Role of Language of Instruction in Promoting Quality and Equity in Primary Education -- Carol Benson -- Chapter 10 -- Improving Indigenous Children's Educational Access and Outcomes through Intercultural Bilingual Education -- Brittany Lambert -- Part 4 -- Early Childhood Education and Transitions -- Chapter 11 -- Early Childhood Strategies for Closing the Socioeconomic Gap in School Outcomes -- Clyde Hertzman, Lori Irwin, Arjumand Siddiqi, Emily Hertzman, and Ziba Vaghri -- Chapter 12 -- Improving Boys' Achievement in Early Childhood and Primary Education -- Barbara Sprung and Merle Froschl -- Chapter 13 -- Equity for Indigenous Children in Early Childhood Education -- Jessica Ball -- Part 5 -- Applying Lessons across Geography -- Chapter 14 -- Adapting Innovations across Borders to Close Equity Gaps in Education -- Fernando Reimers, North Cooc and Jodut Hashmi.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- All children and youth, regardless of the situations into which they were born, deserve the opportunity to improve their life chances by acquiring the knowledge and skills that will help them thrive in the future. As the world lags far behind the Millennium Development and Education for All goals, swift, targeted, and effective action is needed to improve both access and quality in education. Bringing together evidence-based recommendations and in-depth case studies of successful programs from around the world, this edited volume details effective educational equity initiatives and assesses how these models could be improved, expanded, and adapted to diverse contexts. Lessons in Educational Equality is uniquely comprehensive in its scope and its focus on how best to increase educational equality from early childhood to the tertiary level, and in contexts that span the geographic and political spectrum. This volume offers concrete solutions to barriers based on gender, income, disability, race, ethnicity, and language. Chapters on gender address equity for female students in tertiary science and engineering programs, primary and secondary education for socially excluded girls, and equitable early childhood education for boys and girls. Socioeconomic equity is examined in chapters on promoting equal opportunities in secondary school across social class, quality primary education for the poor, and early childhood strategies for closing the achievement gap. Chapters on disability detail strategies for making inclusive education a part of the Millennium Development goals and for increasing access and achievement in tertiary education. Approaches to racial, ethnic, and linguistic equity are presented in chapters on bridging the gap in higher education, improving primary and secondary school quality and outcomes, and providing well-designed early childhood education.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9780199755011 (hbk. : alk. paper)
- 0199755019 (hbk. : alk. paper)