When the sisters said farewell : the transition of leadership in Catholic elementary schools
- Michael P. Caruso.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowan & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 155 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC501 .C285 2012||Unknown|
- Caruso, Michael P.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 147-150) and index.
- Introduction-Ever-Present teaching sisters: A cherished period Chapter 1-What led to the massive Catholic school system? Chapter 2-Finding the sisters Chapter 3-Preparing the sisters for teaching, making sacrifices Chapter 4-From the motherhouse to the classroom Chapter 5-Working with pastors Chapter 6-Changes in religious life lead to departures Chapter 7-The sisters reflect upon their experience Chapter 8-When a school closed Chapter 9-Lay leadership emerges Chapter 10-Transition and signs of renewal Chapter 11-The Future of Catholic schools and the legacy of the sisters Post Script Endnotes Bibliography About the author Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- When the Sisters Said Farewell tells an important story of the contributions of Catholic elementary schools to the United States by chronicling the experiences and insights of religious women (nuns) who were the last members of their communities to serve in parish elementary schools, and of those lay men and women who were the first to serve in those roles traditionally filled by the sisters. The dramatic numerical transition from the preponderance of religious women to lay leadership from the 1960s to the 1980s has been documented; this book describes the how and why sisters left Catholic schools. This narrative also provides instructive insights about leadership, transitions, and current trends in religious life and Catholic education. As all educators in Catholic, private, and public schools grapple with questions of delivering an excellent education, this book offers a glimpse into the workings of one of the most amazing educational enterprises in the history of the United States. Listen to a Sirius Radio interview with Fr. Michael P. Carus here.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- 9781610486521 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1610486528 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610486538 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1610486536 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610486545 (electronic)
- 1610486544 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: