Theorist of maritime strategy : Sir Julian Corbett and his contribution to military and naval thought
- J.J. Widen.
- Farnham, Surrey ; Burlington, VT : Ashgate Pub. Ltd., c2012.
- Physical description
- viii, 179 p. ; 24 cm.
- Corbett Centre for Maritime Policy Studies series.
- Widén, Jerker.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -175) and index.
- Contents: Foreword, Geoffrey Till
- Part I The Man, His Times and Scholarly Achievements: Life and historical works
- Theoretical works and influences. Part II Military Theory in a Maritime Context: The epistemology of war
- General theory of war. Part III Naval Theory as the Ends and Means in Naval Warfare: Theory of naval war
- Theory of naval operations
- General conclusions
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
Since its publication in 1911, Sir Julian's Corbett's Some Principles of Maritime Strategy has remained a key document within naval strategic thinking. Yet despite his undoubted influence, Corbett's theories have not been subjected to scientific review and systematic comparison with other naval thinkers. In this assessment, Dr Widen has provided a fresh interpretation of Corbett's legacy and his continued relevance as a classic theorist of naval war.Divided into three parts, the book begins with a brief biographical overview of Corbett's life, highlighting in particular his bibliographic history and the influences on his thinking. The latter two sections then describe and assess Corbett's views on military and naval theory, respectively. Together these two parts represent his overall theory of maritime strategy, including his conception of limited war, his intellectual debt to Clausewitz, command of the sea, his critic of decisive battle, as well as the different methods of naval operations. By means of a thorough assessment of Corbett's theory of maritime strategy, Dr Widen highlights the continued relevance of his theories. Both the strengths and shortcomings of Corbett's thinking are discussed and reflections offered on their intellectual, practical and doctrinal value. In so doing, Dr Widen has written a book that deserves to be read by anyone with an interest in the past, present or future of maritime strategy.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Corbett Centre for maritime policy studies series
- 9781409433279 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 1409433277 (hardcover : alk. paper)
- 9781409433286 (ebook)
- 1409433285 (ebook)
Browse related items
Start at call number: