Social class and education : global perspectives
- edited by Lois Weis and Nadine Dolby.
- New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- x, 224 p. : ill ; 23 cm.
- Education in global context.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC189 .S667 2012||Unknown|
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction Class in Global Context LOIS WEIS AND NADINE DOLBY Section 1 Postsecondary Access, Equity, and Educational Opportunity in the Global Economy 1. Expanded opportunities for all in global higher education systems RICHARD ARUM, ADAM GAMORAN, AND YOSSI SHAVIT 2. The changing educational opportunity structure in China: Positioning for access to higher education YAN ZHAO CIUPAK AND AMY E. STICH 3. Race, class, and bachelor's degree completion in American higher education: Examining the role of life course transitions JOSIPA ROKSA Section 2 Cultural Politics, Transnational Movement, and the Role of Class 4. Class wreckage and class re-positioning: Narratives of Japanese-educated Taiwanese SHUMIN LIN 5. Producing class and ethnic identities among German and Turkish youth in working and middle class schools in Germany DANIEL FAAS 6. Transnational Latin American families in the US: Parenting and schooling in the 'neither here nor there' CATALINA CRESPO-SANCHO 7. African migrant youth, schooling, and social class in Cape Town CAROLINE FOUBISTER AND AZEEM BADROODIEN Section 3 Class and the Changing Global Educational Context 8. Global scapes of abjection: The contemporary dynamics of some intersecting injustices JANE KENWAY AND ANNA HICKEY-MOODY 9. Being middle class is not enough: Social class, education and school choice in Spain ANTONIO OLMEDO REINOSO AND LUIS EDUARDO SANTA CRUZ 10. Educating supranational citizens: The incorporation of English language education into curriculum policies YUN-KYUNG CHA AND SEUNG-HWAN HAM 11. Cultural polities in the new India: Social class, neoliberal globalization and the education paradox RUCHIRA GANGULY-SCRASE AND TIMOTHY J. SCRASE.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415886963 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Social Class and Education: Global Perspectives is the first empirically grounded volume to explore the intersections of class, social structure, opportunity, and education on a truly global scale. Fifteen essays from contributors representing the US, Europe, China, Latin America and other regions offer an unparralleled examination of how social class differences are made and experienced through schooling. By underscoring the consequences of our new global reality, this volume takes seriously the transnational migration of commerce, capital and peoples and the ramifications of such for education and social structure. Moving beyond national confines, internationally recognized scholars, Lois Weis and Nadine Dolby, offer a set of emblematic essays that break new theoretical and empirical ground on the ways class is produced and maintained through education around the world.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9780415886963 20160614
- Educational sociology > Cross-cultural studies.
- Social classes > Cross-cultural studies.
- Education and globalization > Cross-cultural studies.
- Comparative education > Cross-cultural studies.
- Educational equalization > Cross-cultural studies.
- Students with social disabilities > Education > Cross-cultural studies.
- Publication date
- Education in global context
- 9780415886956 (hbk.)
- 0415886953 (hbk.)
- 9780415886963 (pbk.)
- 0415886961 (pbk.)
- 9780203829202 (ebk.)
- 0203829204 (ebk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: