Renewal : remaking America's schools for the twenty-first century
- Harold Kwalwasser.
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 325 p. ; 24 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LB2822.82 .K93 2012||Unknown|
- Kwalwasser, Harold.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Introduction Part One - The Basics Ch. 1 - Management Theory 101 Ch. 2 - Human Relations 101 Ch. 3 - Politics 101 Part Two - Leaders Ch. 4 - Superintendents Ch. 5 - Principals Part Three - Teachers Ch. 6 - A Brave New World Ch. 7 - Keeping - and Working with - Those You have Ch. 8 - Training New (and More) Teachers Inside the System Ch. 9 - The Rest of Your Life: Good Teachers always get better: The Professional Learning Community Ch. 10 - Training New (and more) Teachers: Working the Pipeline into the Classroom Ch. 11 - Creating more Alternative Training and Certification Programs Ch. 12 - What is a Good Teacher: Evaluation in a Professional World Ch. 13 - Tenure Ch. 14 - Motivating Teachers: Is Pay the Be All and End All? Ch. 15 - The Coleman Report Effect on Motivation: Do Teachers have low Expectations of Poor Kids? Ch. 16 - The Special Challenge of Hard-to-Staff Schools Part Four - Customers Students Ch. 17 - Do not lose Sight of the Student Ch. 18 - Seeing Every Child for Who They are, not Who We Assume Them to be: Replacing One Curriculum Taught One Way Ch. 19 - Ending a System Designed to Lose Track of Kids: Paying Attention to Real Students, Not to the Assumptions We Make About Them Ch. 20 - Assessing Students: Never Letting Them Fall too far Behind Parents Ch. 21 - Parents: One Half of a Confused Partnership Ch. 22 - Parents: Long-Ignored Consumers and Owners Part Five - The Template: The Things High-Performing Schools Have in Common Ch. 23 - Six Beliefs Ch. 24 - Eight Practices Ch. 25 - A Case Study in What It Takes to Fail Ch. 26 - The Things not Done Part Six - Beyond the School District: The Role of the States and Federal Governments Ch. 27 - The Role of the States Ch. 28 - The Role of the Federal Government Postscript - The Future of the American Public School System Ch. 29 - The System of Schools We Want: The Education System We Need Appendix I - The Principles of a Citizens' Movement for Better Education Appendix II - A Proposed School "Disclosure Document".
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Harold Kwalwasser has put together a call to action for education reform that makes a clear case for what has to be done in order to educate all children to their full potential. He visited forty high-performing and transforming school districts, charters, parochial, and private schools to understand why they have succeeded where others have failed. The analysis in Renewal: Remaking America's Schools for the Twenty-First Century brings together all of the necessary changes in one dynamic strategy. Many schools, even though facing seemingly impossible odds, have succeeded brilliantly. But their histories also reflect that there are neither silver bullets or demons. The heart of successful reform is systemic change, which requires the patience, understanding, and commitment of every adult who has a role in the process, from parents and taxpayers, to the school board members, superintendents, and teachers, and on to state legislators and members of Congress. Renewal offers a clear picture of how to move away from the mass-production style of education that most schools offered throughout the twentieth century to a new, more innovative, and flexible model that can meet this country's promise of truly educating every child and preparing each of them for the challenges ahead. Hear from the author in this 5-minute video on YouTube.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Winner of Choice Magazine Outstanding Reference/Academic Book Award 2012.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- 9781610486873 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1610486870 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610486880 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 1610486889 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610486897 (electronic)
- 1610486897 (electronic)
Browse related items
Start at call number: