Academic identities, academic challenges? : American and European experience of the transformation of higher education and research
- Newcastle upon Tyne : Cambridge Scholars Pub., 2011.
- Physical description
- vi, 410 p. ; 22 cm.
LB2324 .A26 2011
- Unknown LB2324 .A26 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- The university in Europe - as a central institution of society - is presently met with many new expectations challenging established practices and self-understandings of academics across Europe. In the European Union the higher education and research system has become a foremost tool of change. Current reforms across national higher education systems are seen as a potential for creating a European Higher Education Area as well as an opportunity to introduce EU policies and ideas addressing how reforms can contribute to promote this as an EU dimension. An argument that only reforms of the higher education institution, in particular the research university, as a European institution, can make Europe regain its competitive force and economic growth-potential has gained currency in the last decade with reference to the US. The university system of the US, particularly its highly regarded elite universities, are held forth as model also for the developments in EU, thus for the reforms of the different countries of EU. In this book however, it is demonstrated that much of the political rhetoric about the construction of the future knowledge economy of Europe and the promotion of a European Higher Education Area may contradict basic values that gives Europe its identity as a cultural region. Promoting the US university as an ideal model does neither do justice to the kind of problems the US is facing in their own reform efforts, nor does it reflect properly the social costs of copying such an elite system. The book raises a number of issues relating to elitism and democracy, internationalisation and regionalisation and new forms of governance in higher education and research which current EU policies seem to neglect.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Tor Halvorsen and Atle Nyhagen.
- Title appears as: Academic identities--academic challenges?
- 9781443834391 (hbk.)
- 1443834394 (hbk.)