The violence continuum : creating a safe school climate
- Manvell, Elizabeth C., 1951-
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 155 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
LB3013.3 .M274 2012
- Unknown LB3013.3 .M274 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 149-154).
- Acknowledgments Introduction: A Safe Haven Chapter 1: Why Should Schools Teach Students to Be Smart and Good People? Chapter 2: How are School Climate and Violence Prevention Linked? Chapter 3: What Do We Mean by Violence and is It Really a Problem in Our School? Chapter 4: What About Issues of Diversity and Equal Protection Under the Law? Chapter 5: Is School Violence the Same for Everyone? Chapter 6: What are the Elements of a Safe School? Chapter 7: How Do We Intentionally Teach Our Children to be Non-Violent? Chapter 8: What is the Role of School Staff? Chapter 9: How Can Diverse Communities Work Together to Improve School Climate? Chapter 10: How Do We Take Our Vision and Make it Happen? Chapter 11: How Do We Ensure the Changes are Real and Lasting? Glossary of Violence Terms References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- We expect schools to be a safe haven, but after more than a decade of targeted school violence prevention laws and safety plans, students are still marginalized and bullied to the point of despondence, retaliation, and even suicide. This thoughtful exploration of what makes a school a safe place is based on the understanding that violence is a continuum of acts and attitudes-subtle to overt-that have a negative effect on how students feel and learn. A school's climate-how it feels to be a member of the learning community-depends on how each student is treated. We are challenged to recognize the often overlooked, yet pervasive, forms of emotional and physical violence that students face every day. After conducting an honest assessment of our own school's climate, we learn how to nurture supportive relationships between students and adults and embed pro-social skills and respect for diversity in everything we do.When done, we are equipped with the understandings, tools, and commitment necessary to create a safe, positive school climate that is systemic and lasting.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Elizabeth Cervini Manvell.
- 9781610485661 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1610485661 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 9781610485678 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9781610485685 (ebook)
- 1610485688 (ebook)
- 161048567X (pbk. : alk. paper)