ELL shadowing as a catalyst for change
- Ivannia Soto.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xi, 143 p. : ill ; 28 cm.
Education Library (Cubberley)
|LC3731 .S666 2012||Unknown|
- Soto, Ivannia.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments About the Author Introduction Section I: Purpose of Shadowing 1. Creating a Sense of Urgency 2. History and Context of Shadowing 3. A Day in the Life of Josue, an English Language Learner Section II: Research Base 4. The Role of Academic Oral Language Development 5. The Importance of Active Listening Section III: Preparation for Shadowing 6. Preparing for a Shadowing Training 7. How to Use the Shadowing Protocol Section IV: Debriefing the Shadowing Experience 8. Analyzing and Reflecting on the Results of Shadowing 9. Using the Results to Leverage Change Section V: Next Steps With ELL Shadowing 10. Next Steps and Follow-up to ELL Shadowing Appendix A: ELL Shadowing Resources Appendix B: Academic Language Development Resources Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412992060 20160614
- Publisher's Summary
- Experience a day in the life of an ELL What if you could barely understand what your teacher is saying? Imagine working mostly independently and silently, with limited opportunities to interact with others. The process of ELL shadowing helps teachers better understand the classroom experience from an English language learner's point of view. The author describes how to implement this easily accessible form of professional development, outlines specific strategies for adapting instruction to engage ELLs, and provides academic language development videos. The benefits of ELL shadowing are many, and include: - Increased teacher sensitivity to ELLs' school experiences - A heightened sense of urgency to help ELLs to learn academic language and content - Improved classroom instruction that spreads throughout schools and districts More engaged students who are more likely to stay in school and reach their potential The text includes a detailed case study of shadowing an English language learner and examples of the range of ELLs in our nation's schools. Readers will also find background on the importance of academic oral language development, the complete ELL Shadowing protocol, and a guide for preparing a personalized professional learning plan for ELL instruction. We cannot and must not rest until we give every group of students the kind of education that they deserve. The time is now, and this book shows you how.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)9781412992060 20160614
- Publication date
- 9781412992060 (pbk.)
- 1412992060 (pbk.)
Browse related items
Start at call number: